[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Size of Cards

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (11/25/87)

In article <1430@ems.Ems.MN.ORG> andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C.Esh) writes:

>	And if we large screen users could upsize the HyperCard screen,
>I'm sure we'd be grateful.

HyperCards underlying metaphor is that of the classic index card.  In real life
these do come in several sizes, but above a certain size they stop being file
cards and start becoming something else!  (anyone remember visible record
computers?)

One of the extremely GOOD aspects of having a limited space in which to work is
that it absolutely forces you to pay attention to what you put in your cards.
Availability of unlimited space *can* lead to extremely sloppy usages.  There
is a well known truism that only too much is enough, which has regularly been
applied to various aspects of the computer world.  If you have a bigger screen,
you are in the fortunate position of being able to support several largish
windows at once.  If your HyperCard fills the larger screen, you will be back
to wanting more screen real-estate.

The only legitimate demand for a larger card size is the NEED to display
something larger than the current card size.  Given the overall nature of
HyperCard as an indexing system, it would probably make more sense to support
the display of a larger field from within a card.  The introduction of an XCFN
with the ability to display a scalable graphic or text window would solve this
issue.  After all, HyperCard is not meant to be a full functional DBMS, but it
does allow you access to such.  Perhaps what we should be asking Apple is to
ensure that HyperCard does not prevent us from accessing unused display space
from within a HyperCard environment.

Robert_S
--
R.A. Stanley             Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive

anson@elrond.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (12/02/87)

In article <1857@cognos.UUCP> roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
>  The introduction of an XCFN
>with the ability to display a scalable graphic or text window would solve this
>issue.

Unfortunately, such an XFCN or XCMD doesn't appear to be completely feasible.
The catch is that update events are not made available to such software.
This means that when an overlapping window goes away, it leaves a big hole
in the graphic produced by the XCMD.  So far, I haven't found a solution
to this one, and so one of my projects is on hold.

I posted something on this problem some time ago, and so far nobody has
suggested a workable solution.  Let's try again.

   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM