[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Starting hypercard

udell@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Udell) (12/01/87)

Whenever I start Hypercard, I hear a click from my Mac when it is just over
half loaded.  Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my Mac?
I haven't noted any other adverse Hypercard behavior.  I do suspect that I
have a faulty power supply, but when I took it in for service they didn't
find anything wrong with it.  (The symptoms were an intermittent
high-pitched whining and unsteady display, neither of which have occurred
lately.)

Thanx, Jon

mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (12/02/87)

In article <2292@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> udell@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Udell) writes:

>Whenever I start Hypercard, I hear a click from my Mac when it is just over
>half loaded.  Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my Mac?
>I haven't noted any other adverse Hypercard behavior.  I do suspect that I
>have a faulty power supply, but when I took it in for service they didn't
>find anything wrong with it.  (The symptoms were an intermittent
>high-pitched whining and unsteady display, neither of which have occurred
>lately.)
>
>Thanx, Jon

My Mac II does this also.  I believe it is the sound of HyperCard turning
on the Sound drivers/devices.

 In Real Life:	Michael Nowak                        |  Cogito
 Via Internet:	mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu              |     Ergo
 Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ronin.cc.umich.edu!mike   |        Zoom!

 Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.

hunt@cg-atla.UUCP (Walter Hunt X7031) (12/03/87)

In article <2292@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> udell@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Jon Udell) writes:

>Whenever I start Hypercard, I hear a click from my Mac when it is just over
>half loaded.  Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my Mac?

	I get it too.  My assumption is that HyperCard is
initializing access to sound routines, so that "boing" can happen in
interactive time, usw.  Any HyperHacker confirm this?

Walter

koster@let.vu.nl (C. Koster) (12/03/87)

When I start Hypercard it beeps!? what does this indicate? And what do I do
about it?

Mactijn Koster    -  koster@let.vu.nl       u00300@hasara5.bitnet

dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) (12/16/87)

In article <367@vulet.let.vu.nl> koster@let.vu.nl (C. Koster) writes:

>When I start Hypercard it beeps!? what does this indicate? And what do I do
>about it?

I would like to add to this "what my HyperCard does" and also hear from
others on what "their HyperCard does".

The first stack I wrote when I got HyperCard with my SE last August was a
version of the **much talked about** HyperFinder.  I installed ICONs into
HyperCard, linked buttons to them, added visual effects, and generally
hacked around to learn this "new" program.  I named this stack
"Application/Directory".

Since August, I've  created some more simple stacks and also have
accumulated the stacks posted to comp.binaries.mac.

Now, at very random intervals, (say, one in ten), when I open any stack,
or just double click on HyperCard, my "Application/Directory" stack
appears???

Does HyperCard remember"pushed" cards that might get "popped" at launch?
Any insight, HyperGurus?
--

		Dean Wormell

			...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!dean