[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] snd/Soundcap conversion

dalea@cerebus.UUCP (Dale M. Arends X5706) (12/14/87)

I have a few stacks that can convert SoundCap format sound files
to snd resources for use in Hypercard.  My problem, however, is
the reverse.  Some of the snd resources I have I would like to use
as startup or beep sounds but I have no way to convert them to
SoundCap format.

If anyone has a program/stack that can handle this conversion,
could you please post it to the net (comp.binaries.mac) or email
it to me (in BinHex format)?  Several other people I know have
the same need for a converter, so if it is shareware that you have
written, it will get distributed some.

My email address is:
		{...}!amdahl!cerebus!dalea

Thanks in advance...

		Dale M. Arends  (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		amdahl!cerebus!dalea

The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
They are entirely my own if they make sense and I disavow them if they don't.

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (12/19/87)

In article <443@cerebus.UUCP> dalea@cerebus.UUCP (Dale M. Arends X5706) writes:
>I have a few stacks that can convert SoundCap format sound files
>to snd resources for use in Hypercard.  My problem, however, is
>the reverse.  Some of the snd resources I have I would like to use
>as startup or beep sounds but I have no way to convert them to
>SoundCap format.

I am not aware of any program doing the thing you are looking for, but there
is a way to do the conversion manually, if you have ResEdit and FEdit. You
also need an MFS disk (a RAM disk should be ok). Copy the 'snd ' resource
from the file and paste it into an empty file. Put the file into the MFS
disk and use FEdit to swap forks. Change the type of the file to 'FSSD'.

There will be some garbage in the beginning and end of the sound, but they
are easily edited away with SoundWave or SoundCap. If you don't have either
of these programs, you're out of luck.

I tried this method a few months ago when I didn't have a Mac II and wanted
to hear the system beeps played on an SE. Please note that you can convert
any number of sounds at a time with this method and you only have to edit
them out to use them.

My suggestion is that all future sounds should be distirubted in Soundwave
format so that they can be easily converted to any wanted format. Applications
that really use the sounds for something are an exception of course.

Juri Munkki
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet
lk-jmu@finhut.bitnet