[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] cursor disappears when lots of fonts are present.

cs161aga@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Cris Rys) (12/20/87)

Has anyone reported a problem with hypercard that the hand cursor
disappears? I had this problem, and could not figure out what it
was. Finally I narrowed the problem down to the system. I thought
it might be the fonts since I have about 750k of fonts. I removed
all but the required fonts, and then hypercard worked find, the
handcursor was shown.

Is the problem that one of my fonts was currupt, or that hypercard
doesn't like lots of fonts?

thanks
Cris Rys

gae@osupyr.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) (12/21/87)

In article <844@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU> cs161aga@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Cris Rys) writes:
>Has anyone reported a problem with hypercard that the hand cursor
>disappears?

The hand cursor (and the paint tools, etc.) are stored in a font
contained in HyperCard.  BUT that font does not have a FOND resource.
So if you have ANOTHER font with the same font number that does have
a FOND resource, then your font will override the HyperCard font.
The culprits found so far:  Bodoni font; certain color fonts.
So to fix it you need to add a FOND to HyperCard.  If you know what
a FOND is, you presumably know how to do that.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.UUCP

cm450s02@uhccux.UUCP (Jeff T. Segawa) (12/21/87)

In article <844@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU> cs161aga@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Cris Rys) writes:
>Has anyone reported a problem with hypercard that the hand cursor
>disappears?

I've had much the same problem with HyperCard. When I move the cursor over
the stack, the browser tool vanishes. As it turned out, some color fonts
I had in a Suitcase file were causing the problem. Fullpaint 1.0SE's display
was garbled too, until I removed the offending fonts. Probably some sort of
conflict.