[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard as a Graphic Front End

suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) (12/20/87)

The question of what is HyperCard good for reminded me of a demo I
saw at a HyperCard expo that Apple sponsored here last month.  One
of the demos was a stack that was a front end for a commercial
dial-up database.  (I don't remember which one.)  The point was
to substitute clicking on buttons for entering command strings.

The main card, as I remember, looked like a library card catalog,
with each drawer representing one of the major subdivisions of the
database.  I suppose that this representation was recursive on the
levels in the hierarchy.

Has anyone else heard of any similar use of HyperCard as a front end?
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (12/23/87)

In article <2468@im4u.UUCP> suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) writes:
>The question of what is HyperCard good for reminded me of a demo I
>saw at a HyperCard expo that Apple sponsored here last month.  One
>of the demos was a stack that was a front end for a commercial
>dial-up database.  (I don't remember which one.)  The point was
>to substitute clicking on buttons for entering command strings.
>
>The main card, as I remember, looked like a library card catalog,
>with each drawer representing one of the major subdivisions of the
>database.  I suppose that this representation was recursive on the
>levels in the hierarchy.
>
>Has anyone else heard of any similar use of HyperCard as a front end?
>--
>Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903

I've not heard of it, but have plans to implement user-friendly front-ends
to some of our more user-hostile software packages by using HyperCard.  The
problem is:  How do I treat an incoming ASCII serial string thru the modem
port as input to HyperCard?  Can I create a HyperCard event on each RETURN?
Will I need an external software interfacing program or can I use what is
already in HyperCard???

216-581-5976
--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl