From: science@nems.ARPA (Mark Zimmermann)
Subject: TEXAS free-text database/indexer/browser Hypercard stack
Date: 3 Jan 88 10:11 EST

Appended below, in Binhex4/Stuffit archive form, is TEXAS version 0.1
(texas01.sit.hqx). TEXAS is a HyperCard stack which lets you browse
through multi-megabyte collections of free-text information.  TEXAS
includes facilities for building and sorting a complete inverted index
to every word in a 'dataspace' text file.  Very friendly and easy to use!
     To browse and retrieve information, begin with the index display, a
scrolling list of key words, e.g.:
     3 HYPERBOLIC
    28 HYPERBUG
     2 HYPERBUTTONS
    10 HYPERC
  2545 HYPERCARD
 ...etc. -- whatever words are in your input file.  If you're interested in
hypercard, just click on that word in the index and get a key word in
context display (a scrolling window), e.g.:
    ay with these new tools.  HyperCard, I believe, will be even better
    he pyramid is an index in HyperCard which knows something about the
    Bill Atkinson talks about HyperCard  -----------------------------
    y seeing products such as HyperCard, and we are too, as soon-to-be
 ...etc. -- a line of the actual text around every occurrence of your chosen
word, centered on that word.  If you want to read what Bill had to say,
just click on that line in the context display, and get the full text in a
scrolling window on your dataspace.
     This upload is version 0.1 -- it works great, but many features remain
on my list to be added.  It uses 13 XFCNs (written in Lightspeed C) to
open, index, browse, etc. through files.  Everything is included in the
stack -- extensive help, documentation of all features, etc.  TEXAS builds
indices at a rate of over 3 MB/hour on my Mac Plus; browsing speeds are
limited by HyperCard response times to a screenful/second or so.
     If you like TEXAS 0.1, send me encouraging words, ideas, or other
contributions to keep me going further on it!  (And contact me if you
want copies of all the source code for my XFCNs, at nominal cost.)
     TEXAS has evolved out of my earlier Indexer/Browser programs during
the past year.  I use it to think with and to remember items from the Mac
Tech Notes, from various online discussion groups, etc.  The more info you
put into it, the better it gets (until you run out of disk space)!
   Mark^Zimmermann    science@nems.arpa    [75066,2044] CompuServe
   9511 Gwyndale Dr., Silver Spring, MD  20910, USA
   tel. 301-565-2166
 - P.S. - if you don't want to download the file, send me a blank disk,
a self-addressed-stamped-envelope, and a couple of bucks, and my son will
dupe it off for you.  The uploaded file requires BINHEX and STUFFIT to
recover....  ^z

[this has been sent to comp.binaries.mac for posting -- chuq ]

End of HYPER-HACKERS Digest