     From: DDUNHAM      To: CHUQ (NR)

 > From: raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day)
 > Subject: How to "go to directory with APPL"

The globals SFSaveDisk and CurDirStore are the negative of the disk and the
dirID of the folder to which standard file will open.

-----------------------------------
24339 19-DEC 13:44 Bugs & Features
     FOND of HyperCard
     From: BRECHER      To: ALL

HyperCard draws its tool palette symbols and special mouse pointer symbols
by using a private font that is in the HyperCard application.  Unfortunately,
HyperCard lacks a "FOND" resource for its font. The result is that if there
any other font online which has the same font ID number as HyperCard's, then
that other font will be used (possibly after scaling to a 12-point size) to
draw HyperCard's symbols.  The symbols will then look like letters, or just
be unrecognizeable.

This problem is not related directly to Suitcase, but Suitcase users are
more likely to have many fonts online and thus more likely to have a
font which conflicts with HyperCard's font.

The solution is to provide a FOND resource for HyperCard.  This can be
done with ResEdit and Font/DA Mover as follows:

1.  Open ResEdit.
2.  Open the HyperCard application file.
3.  Select (click on) the FONT resource type.
4.  Choose the Open General command from the File menu.
5.  Select (click on): FONT ID=31756
6.  Choose Get Info from the File menu.
7.  Type the name: HC Font
8.  Close the Info window.
9.  Choose New from the File menu; this will cause a new FONT resource to
    appear in the list, and the new FONT will be pre-selected.
10. Choose Get Info from the File menu.
11. Type the name: HC Font
12. Type a Tab to move the cursor to the ID field.
13. Type the number: 31744
14. Close the Info window.
15. Choose Quit from the File menu; when asked whether to save the changes,
    click Yes.
16. Open Font/DA Mover.
17. Click the Close button at the lower left.
18. While holding down the Option key, click the Open... button at the
    lower left.
19. If necessary, navigate through disks/folders to the HyperCard
    application.
20. Select the HyperCard application and click Open.
21. Click the Open... button at the lower right.
22. Click the New button.
23. Type the name: HC Font File
24. Click the Create button, or type the Return key
25. Click on "HC Font" in the left list.
26. Click the >> Copy >> button.
27. Click on "HC Font" in the right list.
28. Click the << Copy << button.
29. Click the Quit button.
30. The HC Font File in the HyperCard application folder, which was
    created during the above procedure, can be deleted.

Note: this same problem -- a private application font that lacks a FOND
resource -- is present in some other applications, i.e., SuperPaint and
MacPaint (also, I've been told, FullPaint).  The same procedure can be
applied to these other applications.  However, the ID numbers in steps
5 and 13 may well be different.  To get the number to be used in step
13, take the number in step 5 (which is displayed by ResEdit), divide
it by 128, discard the remainder or fractional part, and then multiply
by 128.  The names "HC Font" and "HC Font File" used above can be any
names you like, as long as the names used in steps 7 and 11 are the same.

-----------------------------------
24402 21-DEC 22:10 Network Digests
     RE: Unix Hypercard Digest V1 #8 (Re: Msg 24309)
     From: BMUG         To: CHUQ (NR)

> From: raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day)
> Subject: How to "go to directory with APPL"

> ... present the
> standard SFDialog box ALREADY AT THE DESIRED DIRECTORY...

Alan -

Try the XCMD that is part of "Miscellaneous XCMDs & XFCN's", by Dewi Williams
(DEWI on Delphi).  It includes one that sets the default directory for
SFGetfiles, et al, as well as lots of neat goodies, including MultiFinder
sublaunching.

-- Raines Cohen
   BMUG HyperCard Scripting SIG

-----------------------------------
24407 21-DEC 23:26 Network Digests
     RE: Unix Hypercard Digest V1 #8 (Re: Msg 24309)
     From: BMUG         To: CHUQ (NR)

> From: drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen)
> Subject: Re: MacII 'snd ' resources
> Date: 23 Nov 87 14:41:16 GMT

> >       Is there a utility available that will convert MacII snd resources
> > into SoundCap sound files or HyperCard sounds? I've got a whole bunch of
> > really neat sounds, but I can't play them on my MacPlus!

> HyperCard sounds are 'SND ' resources.  All you need to do is paste in those
> Mac II sound resources to use them in HyperCard.  As far as SoundCap/SoundWave
> files go, there are public domain and shareware converter utilities available
> on the various nets.

No, HyperCard 'snd ' resources are NOT the same as Mac II control panel 'snd '
resources.  The PD XCMD "ResCopier 2.78 beta", by Steve Maller, WILL convert
them to HyperCard form, if needed, sometimes (not totally reliably).

-- Raines Cohen
   BMUG HyperCard Scripting SIG

-----------------------------------
24403 21-DEC 23:09 Network Digests
     RE: Hyper-Hackers Digest V1 #6 (Re: Msg 24307)
     From: BMUG         To: CHUQ (NR)

> From: John Lawler  <J.AITJLAW@CHIP.UChicago>
> Subject: Fast searching in Hypercard

> [Wanted: ] ... a FAST (this stack
> will eventually have many hundreds of card in it) routine to find and
> list all the hits for that search. Has anyone figured out some way to
> do this, either in Hypertalk or by using an XCMD?

John -

What have you tried?  Does a normal FIND command, given a particular
field to munch on and at least three characters, not work fast enough?

Probably what you'll end up doing is building some sort of organization to the
stack that allows "educated guesses", like sorting by Alpha order, so you start
near the middle if "M" is what you're looking for, or systems of indexes
to optimize the most common searches.

> I've got Raine Cohen's hypertext routine

That's RAINES Cohen, thank you. (:->)  Do you have the "BMUG HyperText trick",
the one that uses the command key?  I like it better.

> but here's my problem: the field
> that the hits would show up in is too narrow for the entire title to
> fit in one line, so it wraps around. Fine, except I'd like to disable
> to wraparound so that each line has only one title. ...

Try either making the field VERY wide, wider than the longest item, and
covering
up with an opaque field or button, OR, if you want the scrollbar handy,
use scripting to copy just the first "n" chars of each line over to the new
field.

Good Luck!

-- Raines Cohen
   BMUG HyperCard SIG

-----------------------------------
24412 22-DEC 03:50 Network Digests
     RE: Unix Hypercard Digest V1 #8 (Re: Msg 24407)
     From: HAMMEN       To: BMUG (NR)

  For a much nicer utility, check out the Sound Mover Package I just uploaded to
the libraries here. It's got a program similar to the Font/DA Mover for moving
around snd resources, a program to convert the standard MacNifty sound files
into whichever snd format you desire, and a cdev that lets the Plus/SE choose
snd resources for system beeps. Robert

-----------------------------------
24453 25-DEC 00:23 HyperCard
     ResCopy.sit in the database
     From: STEVEMALLER  To: JEFFS

Jeff,

PLEASE delete version 3.44Beta of ResCopy IMMEDIATELY! It has a horrible bug and
I'd hate to see anyone else find out! It is now fixed and the new version is
uploaded (4.0b1 - note NORMAL version numbers now!).

For all you lurkers, DO NOT download version 3.44Beta of ResCopy XCMD. The new
version will be posted in a day or so...

Thanks,

     Steve Maller
     Apple Computer

-----------------------------------
24723 11-JAN 21:11 Network Digests
     re: HyperCard Text Bug? (Re: Msg 24706)
     From: DDUNHAM      To: CHUQ (NR)

 >From: pollock@usfvax2.UUCP (xx Pollock)
 >Subject: HyperCard Text Bug?

 HyperCard definitely has some strange ideas of where to break words.  It will
break a possessive if you're aesthetic enough to use curved quotes.  Bill has
replaced the standard TextEdit routine with one of his own, possibly for
2clicking in the script editor (where you wouldn't want to include the parens).
I don't like it in the field editor.

-----------------------------------
24725 12-JAN 02:20 Network Digests
     RE: re: Hypercard misfeature (I claim bu (Re: Msg 24722)
     From: NWOLF        To: DDUNHAM

Your painstaking obsession with curved quotes must serve some purpose
other than beautifying Mac-produced documents, I'm sure. But I haven't
figgered out just what. Nevertheless, I enjoy seeing the results of
your inquisitions into the innersanctums of Macs and Macdoms [izzat a
Mac kingdom or a Mac condom?] and various programmers' exploits of same
- some with apparent disregard to hazardous reefs just below the
MacSurface.

Neil

-----------------------------------
24740 13-JAN 21:44 HyperCard
     HyperCard/Easy Access mismatch
     From: DEWI         To: ALL

Command-Shift-Clear activates the "Mouse Keys" feature of Easy Access.

Command-Clear is an undocumented "Delete Card" command (the manual mentions
Command-Backspace, but not Command-Clear, in Chapter 7).

Enough said? Blew away a card in one of my stacks because a finger missed the
shift key. Unfortunately, aliasing Command-Clear to Command-Shift-Clear with
QuicKeys doesn't work. If you use Easy Access for precision alignment, watch out

for this "feature".

        Dewi

24741 13-JAN 22:01 HyperCard
     RE: HyperCard/Easy Access mismatch (Re: Msg 24740)
     From: HALL         To: DEWI (NR)

Did you try using QuicKeys to have Command-clear make a menu selection? (Like
getting the message box, or something similarly non-destructive.)