     Hypercard "Compact Stack" error message
     From: JIMWEINRICH  To: ALL

"Card 2616 contains bad data".... said the HyperCard error message recently, as
I tried to Compact Stack.  When I cut it from the stack, it said the next card
had bad data, and so on.  What to do?  Is there any way to retreive the data
that remains?  The stack seems to function perfectly, except for compacting, but
it'd be a bitch to reconstruct from scratch.  Help!  What to do?  All the really
obvious things (New Card, Copy Stack, copy in finder, etc.) have already been
tried. Thanks! Jim Weinrich

25107 7-FEB-02:28: Bugs & Features
     RE: Hypercard "Compact Stack" error mess (Re: Msg 25106)
     From: NWOLF        To: JIMWEINRICH

hmm - that's a new one on me; however - an old trick might work. Try
copying the stack using different methods, i.e., finder, DiskFit, a DA
that copies, etc - until you see a change. This doesn't always work,
but sometimes it does. I ~ haven't tried it with HyperCard. Anyhow,
give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose.

The other thing to do is to reconstruct the stack using newstack (start
with a new background), then go back and forth between the two stacks
using copycard, go to new stack, newcard, paste, go to old stack,
nextcard, copy, etc.  This will effectively recreate your stack without
having to do ALL the work. the problem may stay with the original and
the copied stack will be OK. If it's a big big stack it's a lot of
work, otherwise it's just tedious !

neil

25111 7-FEB-16:49: Bugs & Features
     RE: Hypercard "Compact Stack" error mess (Re: Msg 25106)
     From: PEABO        To: JIMWEINRICH (NR)

You could use my program "Stackware Detective" available here to analyze the
stack.  I don't have any repair options, but if you got to get the data out, my
program will do a creditable job of getting it.  How you get it back into
another stack is more problematic though.

peter

25117 8-FEB-01:16: Network Digests
     re: Things missing from HypeCard (Re: Msg 25112)
     From: DDUNHAM      To: CHUQ (NR)

 > From: puswad@pawl19.pawl.rpi.edu (Mark-Jason Dominus)
 > Subject: Things missing from HypeCard
 > ...make a set of seven buttons that all have the same script.  If you change
 > the script for one button, you change the script for all of them.

You're missing the point of inheritance.  Put the common handler in the script
of a more general object, like the buttons' card or background.

 David Dunham     "The more laws there are, the more people are
 Maitreya Design   inclined to break them"

25119 8-FEB-20:42: HyperCard
     Hypercard 1.1
     From: ROWLAND      To: ALL

Is the new version 1.1 of hypercard out yet (the one that Dan Shafer's book says
it includes) and does it fix the multifinder "open with" infelicity ?

Mike Burns

25126 8-FEB-22:35: HyperCard
     RE: Hypercard 1.1 (Re: Msg 25125)
     From: ROWLAND      To: CHUQ (NR)

Oh well. I guess I'll have to byte the bullet and kludge around it. Thanks for
the info.

Mike

25131 9-FEB-03:36: HyperCard
     RE: Hypercard 1.1 (Re: Msg 25126)
     From: NWOLF        To: ROWLAND

that's funny, because I just got a copy of it. Haven't checked it out yet for MF
infelicities, tho...

neil

25132 9-FEB-07:22: HyperCard
     RE: Hypercard 1.1 (Re: Msg 25131)
     From: ROWLAND      To: NWOLF

I should have been more specific: there are a set of XCMDS that do the necessary
basic MF launching, checking if an application is already running, etc. The
problem is that the document that is opened must be at the top level of the
directory, so kludges involve writing scripts that move the document around
where necessary - inelegant to say the least.(All this in the old version; in
the new I was hoping not to have to worry).

Mike

End of HyperCard Digest