[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Terminal Emulator Stack?

jonathan@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Jonathan Altman) (02/13/88)

I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen, a hypercard stack designed
to do terminal emulation, or deals with serial communications.  I would
like to write a stack to work as a friendly front-end for a beastly
mainframe database program, and would prefer, if possible, not to have
to write the scripts/XCMD/XFCN's to do the serial communications
parts.  Please e-mail any stacks or information about stacks you might
have that deal with this subject to me, unless it is of a general
interest. I will be glad to summarize any info I get, if anyone wants.

Jonathan M. Altman '88   jonathan@u2.dartmouth.edu
Database Administrator   {ihnp4,decvax}!dartvax!eleazar!jonathan(maybe)
Dartmouth Dante Project  voice phone:603-646-2633
Hanover NH 03755

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/16/88)

jonathan@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU(Jonathan Altman) writes in comp.sys.mac.hypercard

>I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen, a hypercard stack designed
>to do terminal emulation, or deals with serial communications.  I would
>like to write a stack to work as a friendly front-end for a beastly
>mainframe database program, and would prefer, if possible, not to have
>to write the scripts/XCMD/XFCN's to do the serial communications
>parts.  Please e-mail any stacks or information about stacks you might
>have that deal with this subject to me, unless it is of a general
>interest. I will be glad to summarize any info I get, if anyone wants.
	There was a stack that was circulating on GEnie for a while called
'HyperTerm', I believe.  It was a shareware deal which included many of the
common functions of a term product excpet for nonASCII file transfers. I think
the author was waiting to get $$ before adding them in.  I'm sure you could
locate it in the GEnie/CIS/Delphi archives, or I could try to find it and mail
it off to you.
	I also think that Apple has a stack with some basic comm XCMD's that
comes with the HC devlopers package.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (;;;;YF37) (02/16/88)

In article <8143@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> jonathan@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Jonathan Altman) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen, a hypercard stack designed
>to do terminal emulation, or deals with serial communications.  I would
>like to write a stack to work as a friendly front-end for a beastly
>mainframe database program, and would prefer, if possible, not to have
>to write the scripts/XCMD/XFCN's to do the serial communications
>parts.

I've seen two version of such a stack on CompuServe, in the "go stackware" data
libraries.  I tried both of them, and they both crashed my Mac+ and my Mac II.

I've been thinking of doing my own also, but I haven't had the time.  If I get
inspired, I'll post it to the net.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

lih@cunixc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (02/17/88)

In article <6995@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP () writes:
>In article <8143@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> jonathan@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Jonathan Altman) writes:
>>I was wondering if anyone has, or has seen, a hypercard stack designed
>>to do terminal emulation, or deals with serial communications.  I would
>>like to write a stack to work as a friendly front-end for a beastly
>>mainframe database program, and would prefer, if possible, not to have
>>to write the scripts/XCMD/XFCN's to do the serial communications
>>parts.

>I've been thinking of doing my own also, but I haven't had the time.  If I get
>inspired, I'll post it to the net.

I have tried Harry Chesley's stack (I think it is him) for term emulation
and it is deathly slow...yes, he wrote out all the XCMDs and XFCNs so
I guess that you can use them for Serial I/O.

If you read the Macintosh Today article, some dudes at Apple have already
written a HyperCard front end for a mainframe, but I doubt you will see
anything from them for at least half a year...

 """""""	Andrew "Fuz" Lih		lih@cunixc.columbia.edu
 | @ @ |	Computer Consultant		UI.LIH@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU
 <  ^  >
  \ - /		Columbia University Center for
   --- 		Computing Activities	     ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih