[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] sources for STACKS

EUA@PSUVM.BITNET (02/15/88)

I'm looking for information on inexpensive stacks.  Has anybody looked at stack
s from BUDGET BYTES P.O. Box 2248 Topeka, KS 66601?  How about EDUCOMP's stacks
.  Any other sources?

Mel DeYoung
Dept of English

Penn State  863-2910

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73539000) (02/16/88)

Don't know much about Budget Bytes, but Educomp blatently rips off stupid
Macintosh owners. They have the nerve to charge $10 for a disk of public
domain and shareware type software. They also claim to be a user group.
They are a FOR-PROFIT institution, and they provide ALMOST NO user group
support features. For stacks, I would recommend that you contact The
Berkeley MAcintosh User Group at (415)549-BMUG for info, or The Boston
Computer Society at (617)625-7080 for info. These are the two largest
user groups in the Macintosh community, and the BCS is the largest in the
world, unless the Soviet Ministry of Education counts. These groups charge
nominal supply and materials/shipping charges of $3-$5 per disk. (Can't
recall the BMUG price specifically, but BCS is $4 for one 800K disk chock
full of stuff, I know I used to layout/deisgn the contents of BCS disks. :-) )

Special Edition Disclaimer: Non-Profit user groups cannot lobby for support
of any sort. Therefore I am forced to say that neither group is responsible
for what I say, although deep down inside, they all agree with me.

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems, Inc~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

preese@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Phil Reese) (02/16/88)

In article <33645EUA@PSUVM> EUA@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>I'm looking for information on inexpensive stacks.  Has anybody looked at stack
>s from BUDGET BYTES P.O. Box 2248 Topeka, KS 66601?  How about EDUCOMP's stacks
>.  Any other sources?
>
>Mel DeYoung
>Dept of English

Both of these places are in the business of SELLING disks with PD and
Shareware software on them.  While there is nothing wrong with this there
are other sources for these stacks and programs.  Most of the stack and
PD/Shareware material is first posted to Compuserv or Genie or any of
several other national networks.  Anyone could get an account and download
these materials for the cost of connect/download time (a very considerable
sum for 800k worth of information).

A good alternative is a local User's Group.  There are many of these in
the bigger and not so big cities.  Also around college campuses.  Most
groups have a software library often containing the same programs that are
available from the two sources mentioned.  The costs for these disks are
usually lower than the national sources and you have someone local to call
when the program doesn't work or doesn't do exactly what you want it to
do.

Finally, there are two other alternatives.  There are two large, national
Mac Users Groups, BMUG and BCS.  One on each coast.  These groups often
have the most and newest programs of any group.  Each will sell any of their
PD/Shareware disks for between $3-$4 per disk, usually including shipping
and handling!

I'm on the west coast so I know about BMUG at 415-549-BMUG.  I also know
that they have 25+ disks of stacks in addition to their main library of
75+ disks.  They also have a killer newsletter that comes out twice a year
and is usually 300+ pages in length.

Hope this helps you.

Phil Reese
SESAME Group
School of Ed, UC Berkeley
preese@garnet.berkeley.edu
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!garnet!preese

(And sometimes BMUG volunteer.)

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (02/17/88)

In article <1980@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) writes:
[some stuff deleted]
#Computer Society at (617)625-7080 for info. These are the two largest
#user groups in the Macintosh community, and the BCS is the largest in the
#world, unless the Soviet Ministry of Education counts. These groups charge

The largest computer user group in the world is the HCC (Hobby Computer Club)
of the Netherlands, 60.000+ members. I very much doubt the Soviet MoE has
that many computers...

-- Kees
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

gat@asr2.UUCP (Glen A. Taylor) (02/18/88)

In article <33645EUA@PSUVM> EUA@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>I'm looking for information on inexpensive stacks.  Has anybody looked at stack
>s from BUDGET BYTES P.O. Box 2248 Topeka, KS 66601?  How about EDUCOMP's stacks
>.  Any other sources?

My son bought the BUDGET BYTES four disk pack of stacks.  I only
skimmed them but it seems you get what you pay for, i.e. at approx. $5
per disk you shouldn't expect much.  I saw no stacks that appeared
really useful except for some hypercard utility stacks.  The real
benefit is for ideas if you plan to do some hyperhacking and haven't
progressed very far yet.

Glen A. Taylor
AT&T Bell Labs
Columbus, OH  (614) 560-5305