[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] new book: HYPERTALK Programming, by Dan Schafer

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (02/22/88)

Yesterday,  I found a brand-new book in the HAYDEN MACINTOSH LIBRARY Books
series titled:

	HYPERTALK Programming, by Dan Schafer
	 (includes Version 1.1; includes HyperTalk Language Poster)

It is Copyright 1988, softcover, over 500 pages, 26 chapters with a
readable layout - I haven't read enough of it yet to have an opinion
on the contents yet.  I did not read the Goodman book, and, therefore,
won't be able to compare them.  someone else may have an opinion, though,
and I'd be interested to hear it.  if you have questions regarding the
book that I can look up, please send me Email and I'll try to answer.

Disclaimers: I have no connections with anyone related to the book.

prefered address:	werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu
			werner%rascal@im4u.utexas.edu

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (02/23/88)

In article <2463@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>Yesterday,  I found a brand-new book in the HAYDEN MACINTOSH LIBRARY Books
>series titled:
>
>	HYPERTALK Programming, by Dan Schafer
>	 (includes Version 1.1; includes HyperTalk Language Poster)
>
>It is Copyright 1988, softcover, over 500 pages, 26 chapters with a
>readable layout - I haven't read enough of it yet to have an opinion
>on the contents yet.  I did not read the Goodman book, and, therefore,
>won't be able to compare them.  someone else may have an opinion, though,
>and I'd be interested to hear it.

I have both Goodman's and Schafer's books.  I think I like Schafer's better
in most ways, as it is more to the point and better for people who are
familiar with programming already.  I like the alphabetized list of all
keywords that is in the back of Schafer's book.

Still, there never seems to be enough information in any book to answer every
question I have, not even the stuff from Apple.  For instance, I had to
experiment myself to find out that when you make a new card, the openCard
message comes before the newCard message (seems kind of backwards to me).

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

(Usual disclaimer about them and me.)

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/23/88)

>>Yesterday,  I found a brand-new book in the HAYDEN MACINTOSH LIBRARY Books
>>series titled:
>>
>>	HYPERTALK Programming, by Dan Schafer
>>	 (includes Version 1.1; includes HyperTalk Language Poster)

>I have both Goodman's and Schafer's books.  I think I like Schafer's better
>in most ways, as it is more to the point and better for people who are
>familiar with programming already.  I like the alphabetized list of all
>keywords that is in the back of Schafer's book.

I've just reviewed this for Macintosh Horizons magazine. I like Schafer's
book, and I think it complement's the Goodman book. Goodman's book is more
the reference, Schafer is closer to a tutorial and somewhat better
organized. Not as in depth though.

For what it's worth, both are on my desk next to the Mac. I find I grab
Schafer's first, but I use them more or less interchangeably. One really
nice thing about it is that material I have a hard time finding in Goodman's
book shows up easily in Schafer's (and vice versa). And Schafer's book has a
nice, pretty, and useful poster.

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

john@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (John Stanley) (02/25/88)

In article <2463@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
 >Yesterday,  I found a brand-new book in the HAYDEN MACINTOSH LIBRARY Books
 >series titled:
 >
 >	HYPERTALK Programming, by Dan Schafer
 >	 (includes Version 1.1; includes HyperTalk Language Poster)
 >
 > I haven't read enough of it yet to have an opinion
 >on the contents yet.  I did not read the Goodman book, and, therefore,
 >won't be able to compare them.  someone else may have an opinion, though,
 >and I'd be interested to hear it.

  I too would be interested in hearing recomendations/comparisons
between the two HyperTalk reference books mentioned and any others
people may have found...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!meccts!viper!john

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (02/26/88)

In article <647@viper.Lynx.MN.Org> john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) writes:
|In article <2463@utastro.UUCP| werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
| |	HYPERTALK Programming, by Dan Schafer
| |	 (includes Version 1.1; includes HyperTalk Language Poster)
|  I too would be interested in hearing recomendations/comparisons
|between the two HyperTalk reference books mentioned and any others

It would be helpful to some of us (at least me) for references to books to
include complete information of the book.  For me, this means, author, title,
publisher, and *ISNB*.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."

lchirica@polyslo.UUCP (Laurian Chirica) (02/27/88)

In article <647@viper.Lynx.MN.Org> john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) writes:
>In article <2463@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> >Yesterday,  I found a brand-new book in the HAYDEN MACINTOSH LIBRARY Books
> >series titled:
> >	HYPERTALK Programming, by Dan Schafer
> >	 (includes Version 1.1; includes HyperTalk Language Poster)
> > I haven't read enough of it yet to have an opinion
> >on the contents yet.  I did not read the Goodman book, and, therefore,
> >won't be able to compare them.  someone else may have an opinion, though,
> >and I'd be interested to hear it.
>
>  I too would be interested in hearing recomendations/comparisons

I spent quit a bit of time scanning thru both books.  They are both
excellent.  Goodman's book is more comprehensive but, occasionally,
reads more like a repetition of the Apple's reference manual.  Shafer's
book concentrates on HyperTalk and gives it a more detailed treatment
with lots of examples.  You can also send for a diskette with all the
code published in the book AND all the PD and Shareware code MENTIONED in
the book.  (I am waiting for it).

 I would buy both of them (I did) but if I HAD TO choose just
one, I would pick Shafer's.

--
Laurian M. Chirica
Computer Science Department

kraut@ut-emx.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (02/28/88)

In article <3827@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) writes:

> It would be helpful to some of us (at least me) for references to books to
> include complete information of the book.  For me, this means, author, title,
> publisher, and *ISNB*.

	ISNB?  what is ISNB???

(when you ask for perfection, please deliver perfection!  (-:)

   to quote another part of my original article:

+ if you have questions regarding the
+ book that I can look up, please send me Email and I'll try to answer.

	I really meant that ...
--
(prefered mailbox:)		werner%rascal@sally.utexas.edu
				....!ut-sally!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/28/88)

>It would be helpful to some of us (at least me) for references to books to
>include complete information of the book.  For me, this means, author, title,
>publisher, and *ISNB*.

HyperTalk Programming, Includes Version 1.1.
Hayden Macintosh Library
$24.95
ISBN 0-672-48426-9

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

     There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
                              Ken Olson, President, Digital Equiptment, 1977