[net.micro] The GNU Manifesto - let the people decide

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (03/29/85)

Indeed, let the people decide about GNU.  I don't say it's certain
that GNU will not do good.  It could very well.  But I made my statements
in the light of some important facts.

The most important is that most people, unlike Richard Stallman, want
good rewards for what they do.  While it may be very nice of Mr. Stallman
and his friends to give us all this software, they certainly can't handle
everything.

Sadly, in a market where there is a high quality, high priced product and
an inferior free product, many will use the free product not because it
is the BEST but because it is free.  And thus you get the advancement of
inferior products at the expense of superior ones.  Of course, this is
from a purely technical viewpoint, as you might argue that the free product
is "superior" in the long run due to the low cost.  I know the above rule
from personal experience.  I have a $50 programming utility on the market.
There is a free one, modeled after mine, which the author admits is clearly
inferior.  Yet I lose many sales to it and piracy, the result being that
I've moved on to other things.

Perhaps RMS can make a superior product, and still keep it free.  Good
luck, It's never been done before although it has often been tried.
The reason for this is simple.  Designing and bringing up neat new software
is fun, and lots of people are willing to do it for free.  Debugging,
maintaining, enhancing and supporting it is NOT, and few will do this
at the same bargain price.  Unfortunately, in a quality product, the first
part takes up 90% of the time, and the other part takes up the other 90% of
the time, to bring out the old cliche.  But who knows, perhaps they can do
it, and time will tell.

I am not opposed to any quality product, free or not.  What I don't like
is inferior products that displace superior products because they were
written by fanatical communists like RMS.  (I'm not name calling, I use
these terms as an accurate description based on my mail conversations with
the man.)

And remember, the "quality" of a product must be judged over a period of
time.  It may be good to start, but will it stand up?  Does it adapt and
suit your needs for a long time?  Will people hang onto it long after it
is obsolete just because it is free?
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

tsc2597@acf4.UUCP (Sam Chin) (04/01/85)

<>

"What I don't like is inferior products that displace superior products
becuase they were written by fanatical communists like RMS."

Hey come on, this statement almost degrades to the level of DOCTOR VAX who
has been writing libelious mail to net.apple. I have been using GNU emacs
for a few days now and it is great. RMS and company are certainly good
programmers and I certainly have faith in them producing a decent GNU. GNU
emacs is at least as powerful as commercial versions of emacs which sell for
thousands of dollars. We are not looking at dinky $50 dollar utilities (I
know, I wrote some during weekends when I was bored and sell them too) but
at a major programming effort whose distribution source is about 3
megabytes. Besides, with all the big guys around, and the incredible number
of existing software companies, most of the small guys are doomed anyway
unless they have something *really really* innovative - just ask wall street
or any venture capitalist. Perhaps we shall see a reemergence of free
software after the big software shakeout. Personally, if I wrote another
package which was between "useful" and "good", I would probably give it away
free or freeware. If I wrote something "truly wonderful", then I would weigh
trying to sell it commercially but even then with todays competition, I
would have about a 10% chance of survival.

                                               Sam Chin
                                               allegra!cmcl2!acf4!tsc2597
                                               tsc2597.acf4@nyu

BillW@SU-SCORE.ARPA (William Chops Westfield) (04/01/85)

The greatest benefit of RMS's GNU ideas may be just getting a lot of
volunteer hackers working together on the same things (the usual case
is that there turn out to be 200 different PD communications programs,
and so on, all of fairly mediocre quality).

With GNU take over the software market?  Never.  It just isn't possible
to provide the sort of support that naive user require without charging
a decent amount of money for your program.  Sure, RMS says that this isn't
true in his manifesto, but he is wrong.  I don't think RMS has ever had
to deal with really large populations of users.  Consider his current
successes:

1) EMACS.  ITS/TENEX EMACS is a good example of RMS's ideal piece of
	software.  User written.  User modified.  Free.  Constantly
	improved and improving.  One of the most complex, powerful,
	and easy to use editors around.  It's concepts have been
	copied in many comercial products.  Many, many hours of
	volunteer labor have gone into its development...

	So what's wrong?  Well, for one thing, EMACS has been 15
	years or so in the making.  The fact that it constantly
	changes is more of an annoyance than a feature to many
	sites.  New features have taken precedence over things
	like efficiency...  EMACS runs on DEC20's.  DEC20s
	are an interesting machine.  There are two PD Operating
	systems you can run. (maybe 3?).  Almost all of the
	useful software you can run is PD.  Why is this?  Well,
	first is that there aren't all that many 20's.  Second
	is that a lot of them are linked together by the DoD
	ARPANet.  DoD funded programs are by definiton free to
	other DoD contractors.  The net makes sharing software
	easy.  The 20 is a popular university computer, generating
	even more free software...

2) LMI Lisp machine Software.
	I don't know much about this.  I suspect the LMI lisp machine
	grew up in an environment similar to that of DEC20s.

The problem is that I suspect that there were more apple macintoshes
sold durring the christmas season than there are DEC20s and LMI lisp
machines put together, total!  Another point is that all that donated
programmer time was in many cases paid for by the programmers current
employer.  A university or a DoD site, and a lot of companies are
quite willing to have a programmer spend a bunch of hours improving
the editor.  And then the changes get sent back to everyone else,
so that THEY can make improvements.  Things may change when the
majority of people using the software DO NOT contribute to its
development or improvement.

BillW

jih@usl.UUCP (Juha I. Heinanen) (04/01/85)

Brad Templeton writes:

>I am not opposed to any quality product, free or not.  What I don't like
>is inferior products that displace superior products because they were
>written by fanatical communists like RMS.

There are two comments I can't resist to make after reading Brad's
article and the above quote in particular.

First, based on my experience with both CCA Emacs and Gosling's Emacs,
there doesn't exist superior, well supported commercial Emacs that the
GNU Emacs would be likely to displace.  On the contrary, in the DEC
world there are thousands of very happy users of RMS's free Emacs who
would be surprised to hear that in the Unix world you have to pay for
the similar, but in many sense inferior, product.

Second, I don't think that Brad's opinion of RMS as a fanatic communist
is appropriate.  Contrary to the common American belief, every non
capitalist is not necessarily a communist.  I don't personally know RMS,
but rather than being a fanatic communist, he seems to be much closer to
an idealistic software anarchist in the most positive meaning of the
word.

                         Juha Heinanen
                         {ut-sally, akgua}!usl!jih

Samuel@SU-SCORE.ARPA (Sam Hahn) (04/01/85)

Let's see...  To me it looks like where there is a high quality
product, and there is an IBM product, many will use the IBM product
not because it is the BEST but because it is IBM.  And thus you get
the advancement of IBM products at the expense of superior ones.

Let's separate the issue of technical superiority from the issue of
whether you must PAY for the product.  One can knock a PD program for
its quality/lack-of-quality, but there are enough examples of superb
software in the public domain that any attempt to generalize based
only on the statements I've seen recently are at best incomplete.
Look at ZCPR, MEX, various disk utilities, Kermit, BYE, various
Forths, compression utilities, XLISP, and who know what else I've left
out in this list that's come just from a quick mental scan.

What support have I received from REAL products??  I've paid DRI and
its associates over $1200.00 for the various OS products I've bought,
but when upgrading from MP/M816 to ConcurrentDOS, I've lost.  MP/M
isn't a real products any more.  Great, I'm out of luck, and am FORCED
to go to ConcurrentDOS.  Have they ever replied to my suggestions for
improvement and consolidation of features from 3.0, -86, -816, not to
mention ORIGINAL suggestions?  No.

What has Sorcim done for me?  They tell me that upgrading from
SuperCalc to SuperCalcII costs $125.00, is what they tell me.  This
when I can order SuperCalcII for $149 or so from mail order houses.
Is this support?

I could go on for many pages (and Kbytes).  I've had better response
from Ron Fowler, who's on the net, regarding MEX, than I've ever had
from my REAL software products.  I've had better help from my user
groups in setting up PD software than I've ever gotten from software
houses.  The sources to PD software is often available, and that means
a LOT in terms of the support that's possible to obtain.

I personally plan to contribute to RMS's GNU effort as soon as I
finish my master's project here at HPP.

				-- Sam Hahn
-------

jchapman@watcgl.UUCP (john chapman) (04/02/85)

 Brad Templeton writes:
> Indeed, let the people decide about GNU.  I don't say it's certain
> that GNU will not do good.  It could very well.  But I made my statements
> in the light of some important facts.
>
> The most important is that most people, unlike Richard Stallman, want
> good rewards for what they do.  While it may be very nice of Mr. Stallman
> and his friends to give us all this software, they certainly can't handle
> everything.

  There are an awful lot of people running bbs's at their own expense -
  no reward financially (in fact it costs them money), just performing
  a public service - these systems contain an awful lot of free
  software as does usenet.  If people get software they want for free
  from others they are also quite likely to distribute some of their
  own free as well.

> Sadly, in a market where there is a high quality, high priced product and
> an inferior free product, many will use the free product not because it
> is the BEST but because it is free.  And thus you get the advancement of
> inferior products at the expense of superior ones.  Of course, this is
> from a purely technical viewpoint, as you might argue that the free product
> is "superior" in the long run due to the low cost.  I know the above rule
> from personal experience.  I have a $50 programming utility on the market.
> There is a free one, modeled after mine, which the author admits is clearly
> inferior.  Yet I lose many sales to it and piracy, the result being that
> I've moved on to other things.

  This does not seem any different to me than someone deciding between
  the features of a $150 item and a $200 item - you look at what you
  get for the extra $50 and decide if it is worth it.  Apparently most
  people thought your program wasn't worth $50 for it's extra features;
  this is hardly a reason to decry the spread of free software.

> Perhaps RMS can make a superior product, and still keep it free.  Good
> luck, It's never been done before although it has often been tried.
> The reason for this is simple.  Designing and bringing up neat new software
> is fun, and lots of people are willing to do it for free.  Debugging,
> maintaining, enhancing and supporting it is NOT, and few will do this
> at the same bargain price.  Unfortunately, in a quality product, the first
> part takes up 90% of the time, and the other part takes up the other 90% of
> the time, to bring out the old cliche.  But who knows, perhaps they can do
> it, and time will tell.

  Two points:
  1. as pointed out in the "manifesto" if there is demand (and there most
     likely will be) for support & enhancements then companies will
     spring up to provide this.  Perhaps you should volunteer to help
     him with the project thus becoming a gnu wizard, you would then be
     able to open a nice profitable business offering gnu support services.
  2. craftsmen who produce products to be given away generally put a lot
     of effort into what they produce - they have pride in it; on the
     other hand business writes software to make $$, it doesn't have to
     be good it just has to sell - if you find a bug and it only affects
     a small percentage of the potential customers you're not likely to
     see it fixed quickly (if at all).

> I am not opposed to any quality product, free or not.  What I don't like
> is inferior products that displace superior products because they were
> written by fanatical communists like RMS.  (I'm not name calling, I use
> these terms as an accurate description based on my mail conversations with
> the man.)

 It is really unlikely that an inferior product will replace a superior
 product unless the "superior" product is overpriced (or perhaps not
 considered really superior in the eyes of the purchaser).  Since I
 don't know what your mail conversations have been like I don't know
 if RMS is a communist or not but it certainly does sound like you are
 name calling - whether he is a communist or not you are certainly
 using it as a perjorative.  Perhaps from now on you should be referred
 to as a fanatical capitalist....

> And remember, the "quality" of a product must be judged over a period of
> time.  It may be good to start, but will it stand up?  Does it adapt and
> suit your needs for a long time?  Will people hang onto it long after it
> is obsolete just because it is free?

  It seems  to me that they would be more likley to hang on to obsolete
  software if they had paid a lot for it than if it was free. In the
  event that you are correct though:
   I suggest we institute a corp of software police (to protect
  all those poor misguided users out there of course).  They can perform
  surprise searchs and if they find someone using outdated software they
  will confiscate it and force the hapless user to buy new shiny and
  expensive software to replace it (maybe you could make a deal with
  them?).
> --
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario

 John Chapman

Disclaimer: the above is not the view of my employer, friends, family
            dog, myself, anyone known to me (living or dead) nor that
            of any fictional character in book I have ever read.

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Liz Sommers) (04/03/85)

>First, based on my experience with both CCA Emacs and Gosling's Emacs,
>there doesn't exist superior, well supported commercial Emacs that the
>GNU Emacs would be likely to displace.  On the contrary, in the DEC
>world there are thousands of very happy users of RMS's free Emacs who
>would be surprised to hear that in the Unix world you have to pay for
>the similar, but in many sense inferior, product.

Just a note:  Unipress has come out with a completely new version of
Gosling Emacs.  Check it out before you put it down.  Gosling Emacs can no
longer be considered an inferior product.  I have been using it in both
alpha and beta test and now prefer it to RMS ITS Emacs which I also use
everyday.

> >Second, I don't think that Brad'sopinion of RMS as a fanatic communist
>is appropriate.  Contrary to the common American belief, every non
>capitalist is not necessarily a communist.  I don't personally know RMS,
>but rather than being a fanatic communist, he seems to be much closer to
>an idealistic software anarchist in the most positive meaning of the
>word.
> > Juha Heinanen > {ut-sally, akgua}!usl!jih

RMS is a pretty close friend.  He is not a communist.  He is a
self-proclaimed anarchist.  Some of his ideas are pretty buggy, but his
software rarely is.  The people who are doing everyday support are also
good.

Gosling EMACS and GNUmacs have different niches.  RMS is not interested in
doing a lot of support work, he is interested in developing software and
having the users support it.  Unipress has a staff dedicated to supporting
Gosling Emacs. (Yes, I know they didn't use to, but things DO change).  If
you want to take the time to do ALL your emacs support yourself, then
GNUMACS might just be the thing for you.  You just have to realize that
bug reports will probably be answered with "Well, what is the fix?"  A
number of sites outside of universities do not have the time or personel
to cope with this method of support.

As a second point, soon you will be able to run Gosling Emacs on ALL your
machines, using the same mlisp files.  This can be real nice if you, like
me, might work on 5 or 6 different machines a week.  I hate remembering
"what is the name of the command on THIS machine?"

I have been Alpha testing the new Gosling Emacs for the AT, using it very
extensively for both text and programming.  The old bugs that made it
unusable are mostly out.  Will report on it in another message.
--
liz sommers
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (04/04/85)

> written by fanatical communists like RMS.  (I'm not name calling, I use
> these terms as an accurate description based on my mail conversations with
> the man.)

I know Richard.  Fanatical, yes.  Communist, certainly not.  Check your
mailer to see if it is Huffman encoding messages in and out of your site.

> And remember, the "quality" of a product must be judged over a period of
> time.  ...  Will people hang onto it long after it
> is obsolete just because it is free?

Sadly, rather likely.  Just like they hang onto bad software just because it
is IBM, or because they have a huge investment of their time in it, or any
number of other reasons for not paying for new software.  Some of these
reasons would also cause them to hold onto software they've purchased even
when a superior free package comes out, too.

I doubt you have a number for how much money you lost to free software and
software pirates, as neither effect is honestly quantifiable.  I have no
idea how you r[ua]n your business, but when I buy software, I wish to receive
support which is better than that which I could do myself (and given its
existance, I will buy software).  If you are going to worry about software
which is quite inferior but free, remember that you also have competition from
software that is slightly inferior and slightly less expensive than yours,
as well as software that is markedly better and much more expensive (as well
as better/less expensive, and worse/more expensive...).

It may just be the nature of the software business that it is quite difficult
to come out with an expensive piece of software whose functionality truly
eclipses any free software, even given the propensity for non-maintenance.
Compare it to the auto industry:  very few people can practically build their
own cars (and they don't grow on [conference] trees :-).  But that is hardly
the fault of people who write free software.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

You can't spell "vile" without "vi".