[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] WARNING: Bad HyperTalk books

winkler@Apple.COM (Dan Winkler) (02/28/88)

As the author of the HyperTalk language and as an Apple employee, I am
going to refrain from endorsing or criticizing any particular HyperCard
book.  However, I will say that there are some very poor ones out there
that were thrown together in a matter of weeks and that are full of
inaccuracies and examples that are not even syntactically correct
(i.e.  they were never tried).  I feel there is a need for some
informed criticism of these books in forums like this.  I do not feel
that the reviews I have seen so far have been informed.  Folks, you
shouldn't post a message to thousands of people around the world
endorsing a book (or anything else) that you haven't thoroughly
studied.  I can't be the one to tell you that any particular book is
dog meat, but I desperately want you to figure it out on your own and
you haven't been doing too well so far.

dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) (02/28/88)

Dan Winkler, author of HyperTalk, wrote:
"I can't be the one to tell you that any particular book is dog meat, but I
desperately want you to figure it out on your own and you haven't been doing
too well so far."

Let's see, what book could Dan Winkler think is "dog meat"?  What books have
been endorsed in this forum?  Danny Gooman's book and Dan Shafer's book, at
least.  Are there any others?  I would presume that Winkler is not referring
to Goodman's book, since it was written under the guidance of people at
Apple.  (Despite the guidance of people at Apple, Goodman's book is pretty
elementary--not much better than just studying the online help that comes
with HyperCard.)  So what books are left that he might be referring to?
Shafer's?

ns@CAT.CMU.EDU (Nicholas Spies) (02/29/88)

In article <988@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) writes:

>Dan Winkler, author of HyperTalk, wrote:
>"I can't be the one to tell you that any particular book is dog meat, but I
>desperately want you to figure it out on your own and you haven't been doing
>too well so far."

Perhaps Dan Winkler would do himself and the world a favor if he wrote the
definitive HyperTalk book; he could do for HC what K&R does for C. AND his
first name is "Dan", which seems to be sine qua non for HC books so far :->

I learned HC from a printout of the "Help" stack and an early release of
APDA stuff; the "Help" stack should simply be expanded, by Apple, to cover
the undocumented stuff in HC, as well as XCMD stuff. It would be fairly easy
to for Apple to supply ALL documentation on-line rather than supplying alot
of stacks that are useful only for total novices. Indeed, this would be a
perfect demonstration of the power of HyperCard...

Instead, Apple has included only partial information, giving Danny Goodman
the opportunity to print money (reported 100,000 sales) but his extremely
poorly-indexed, overlong book _still_ doesn't tell half the story. I
immediately got the feeling that Apple gave Goodman this opportunity because
of his MacWorld and PC World connections. Another extremely annoying tie-in
is the free advertising that Goodman has gotten with the release of the demo
"Business Class", which is plugged in his book as well. I flipped through
Shafer's book, but decided that paying another ~$25 wasn't going to double
my understanding of HC so I didn't. Even if Dan Winkler is right, his diatribe
can only have a chilling effect on others trying to make a buck providing
information that Goodman and Apple haven't (at least in a usable form).

What is needed is a straight-forward, spriral-bound book (to lie flat) about
the size of the Laserwriter manual that tells all, with an alphabetized
section with every HyperTalk keyword explained in full in 1-3 pages apiece,
with code examples and caveats. Another section should groups keywords by
function, with pointers to the main entries. And, it needs a complete index.
Come to think of it, this sounds alot like the HC help stack...it just needs
to be completed and rearranged a bit.
--
Nicholas Spies			ns@cat.cmu.edu.arpa
Center for Design of Educational Computing

ns@CAT.CMU.EDU (Nicholas Spies) (02/29/88)

Please post instructions/guidelines for posting stacks. (Where, how big,
at what intervals if big, etc). My stack is ~80K.

--

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/29/88)

in article <991@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, ns@CAT.CMU.EDU (Nicholas Spies) says:

> Please post instructions/guidelines for posting stacks. (Where, how big,
> at what intervals if big, etc). My stack is ~80K.
>

> --
> Nicholas Spies			ns@cat.cmu.edu.arpa
> Center for Design of Educational Computing
> Carnegie Mellon University

You might want to wait a bit before posting your stack.  We're in the midst of
a vote to create a new group - comp.binaries.hypercard.  Voting will continue
until March 16, at which time (if things keep up as they are) we'll have
the new group.  Assuming that the group does get created, I'll be moderating
it and will post rules for submitting stacks as soon as the group is official.
To tell you the truth, your stack will get onto the net just as fast if you
wait for the new group (again, being optomistic about the vote ...) as it
would if you sent it along today to comp.binaries.mac, where there is a large
backlog.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (03/02/88)

In article <7495@apple.Apple.Com> winkler@Apple.COM (Dan Winkler) writes:
>As the author of the HyperTalk language and as an Apple employee, I am
>going to refrain from endorsing or criticizing any particular HyperCard
>book.  However, I will say that there are some very poor ones out there
>that were thrown together in a matter of weeks and that are full of
>inaccuracies and examples that are not even syntactically correct
>(i.e.  they were never tried).

I agree.  I have seen three books so far and bought two (Goodman and
Shafer).  While I learned a lot from them, both are inadequate,
incomplete and poorly organized.  What we need is something like the
unix manual or Kernighan and Ritchie, where we can find each function
and what it does, with examples.  We don't need pages and pages
of introduction to Hypercard for the brain-damaged.  I would suggest
Dan Winkler as author, except I would rather have him hack hypercard
to make it better, since everyone recognizes it needs improvement,
despite being an ingenious advance in the art of software.  I am
sure someone good will soon come out with a complete book, and eagerly
await it with my dollars.

edwards@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Edwards) (03/08/88)

In article <990@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, ns@CAT.CMU.EDU (Nicholas Spies) writes:
> In article <988@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> dtw@F.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Duane Williams) writes:
> >
> APDA stuff; the "Help" stack should simply be expanded, by Apple, to cover
> the undocumented stuff in HC, as well as XCMD stuff. It would be fairly easy
> to for Apple to supply ALL documentation on-line rather than supplying alot
> of stacks that are useful only for total novices. Indeed, this would be a
> perfect demonstration of the power of HyperCard...

and....

> What is needed is a straight-forward, spriral-bound book (to lie flat) about
> the size of the Laserwriter manual that tells all, with an alphabetized
> section with every HyperTalk keyword explained in full in 1-3 pages apiece,
> with code examples and caveats. Another section should groups keywords by
> function, with pointers to the main entries. And, it needs a complete index.
> Come to think of it, this sounds alot like the HC help stack.

AMEN, AMEN and AMEN!

Why does everybody have to have DEVELOPER status to get any straight skinney
outta APPLE anymore....what's happening over there boys?

      'These are only the shadowlands.' C.S. Lewis
        Ken Jenkins as guest @

        CSNET: edwards@bgsu
      ARPANET: edwards%bgsu@csnet-relay
         UUCP: cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!edwards

      US Mail:
	c/o Century Marketing Corp.
            12836 S. Dixie Hwy.
            Bowling Green , OH 43402

        Phone:
            In Ohio 1-800-821-5409
        Out of Ohio 1-800-537-9429
                 or 1-419-354-2591

usenet@agate.BERKELEY.EDU (USENET Administrator) (03/14/88)

"Developers Stack", by Steve Draga. Along with dozens of useful
XCMD's, it had a quick HyperTalk reference guide, listing all
HyperCard commands, functions, constants, etc. I simply extracted
the text, formatted it, and printed it out. Now I have a thorough,
alphabatized HyperTalk reference guide. If I need example scripts,
I can refer to the Goodman book, or equivelent. This is really
what I wanted; a quick reference to all HyperCard keywords.
From: dano1@garnet.berkeley.edu (Dan Callaway)

Dan Callaway
ucbvax!garnet.berkeley.edu!dano1