[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypermedia links and the future of CUT and PASTE

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (03/23/88)

In article <5510@well.UUCP> rogue@well.UUCP (L. Brett Glass) writes:
>And, most importantly, New Wave >works< very
>differently from the Mac. It uses DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) to
>allow different parts of the SAME document to be acted on by
>different applications, even though the document appears in one
>window. You can use drawing commands on a picture, editing
>commands on the text, etc. without cutting and pasting or
>shifting to another window.
>
>I've only seen something like this done once elsewhere -- in a
>non-graphic program called "The Incredible Jack" distributed by
>Pecan software. It's actually a BIG step forward, and the "look
>and feel" really is substantially different.
>
><rogue>

I read about the dynamic data exchange in Byte last month and was very
impressed.  I always thought that this form of hypertext processing would
only occur when the OS supported it.  WHen the MAC came out, the hyp involved
ease of use, common interface, graphic and ease of transfer of info between
applications.  It is in this last area that Apple has made little (no?)
progress in the past years.  The CUT and PASTE operations are nice
but they have not been supplemented since the MAC came out.  The DDN linking
scheme is a form of hypertext links that the OS supports.  MAC needs this in
the OS.  Think of how hypercards, spreadsheets, and  DTP could use this
facility.

Mark Interrante                                               CIS Department
                                                       University of Florida
Internet:  mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu                      Gainesville, FL  32611
                                                              (904) 335-8051