[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 1.1 and locked disks or volumes

csaron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) (03/25/88)

As has been noted previously in this newsgroup, HyperCard 1.1 can now
run off of, and use stacks which are located on, a *locked* file, disk, or
network volume.  This has particular utility in settings with one or
more file servers, for it now allows many users to simultaneously share
stacks which are stored on a read-only volume on the file server,
without first having to copy these stacks to their own local disk
storage.  It also allows the current version of HyperCard to
immediately begin making use of stacks located on CD-ROM, which is
apparently the primary purpose of this added functionality in
version 1.1.

** The method described below is a temporary hack which will be
** removed in subsequent versions of HyperCard.  Use at your own risk.

The command "debug writeoff" allows HyperCard to use stacks on locked
volumes by turning off the automatic saving feature of the program.
Any changes made to stacks will be made only in memory, and these
changes will not be present when the stack is exited and reentered.
One can still use the "Save a Copy ..." command from HyperCard's file
menu, but this command will only create a duplicate stack which mirrors
the initial state of the stack one is working in; it will not save any
changes which have been made.  The command "debug writeon" turns on
automatic saving of changes, and thus restores HyperCard's default
state in this regard.  Both of these "debug" commands can be typed into
the message box or incorporated into scripts in the same manner as
other HyperTalk commands.

David Leffler of Apple has confirmed in a recent communication that
"The Home stack must be on an unlocked volume ..."  As a result, an
appropriate place for the "debug writeoff" command is in the "on
startup" handler in the Home stack.  If a Home stack which has been
modified in this way is launched directly from an unlocked disk or
volume, the HyperCard application itself and all other stacks which are
to be accessed by HyperCard can be located on locked disks or volumes.
Stacks can be accessed in any privileges mode otherwise permitted, from
Browsing through Scripting, since changes to stacks on locked volumes
are not permanent.

According to Apple's HyperCard product manager Mike Holm, quoted by Rory
J. O'Connor in the article "CD-ROM eludes HyperCard" (Macintosh Today,
22 March 1988, p. 7), the "debug writeoff" command in HyperCard 1.1 is
"temporary in the extreme, a hack in the true sense of the word.  It
will be removed when the new version is released."

The article states that Apple has been working since December 1987 on a
version of HyperCard which will officially support locked volumes,
and particularly Apple's forthcoming CD-ROM product, now scheduled to ship
in May 1988.  A prototype of this new version of HyperCard is expected to
be sent to developers in early April.

According to Holm, "The next version will read a disk that's on CD-ROM,
or a locked disk or a file that's locked under the Finder.  It'll tell
you you can't make changes, and the plan right now is to avoid a lot of
alerts, bells and whistles."

   Aron Roberts  Tolman Microcomputer Facility
                 1535 Tolman Hall, University of California
                 Berkeley, CA 94720  (415) 642-2251
                 csaron@garnet.Berkeley.EDU   CSARON@UCBCMSA.BITNET

michael@wundt.psy.vu.nl (M.A.M. Felt) (03/31/88)

In article <7969@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> csaron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) writes:

>According to Apple's HyperCard product manager Mike Holm, quoted by Rory
>J. O'Connor in the article "CD-ROM eludes HyperCard" (Macintosh Today,
>22 March 1988, p. 7),
>
>The article states that Apple has been working since December 1987 on a
>version of HyperCard which will officially support locked volumes,
>and particularly Apple's forthcoming CD-ROM product, now scheduled to ship
>in May 1988.  A prototype of this new version of HyperCard is expected to
>be sent to developers in early April.
>
>According to Holm, "The next version will read a disk that's on CD-ROM,
>or a locked disk or a file that's locked under the Finder.  It'll tell
>you you can't make changes, and the plan right now is to avoid a lot of
>alerts, bells and whistles."

Isn't this wonderful. We in Europe (how is the rest of the world doing)
finally get hypercard 1.0.1 while 1.1 is in use in North America (where else)
and probably before we can get HC 1.1 HC 1.2 or 2.0 will be in use in,
where else? - Not here !

I've heard the first line of delay is in Cork, Ireland. (First In, First Out)

I'm sort of accustommed to this, but that doesn't mean I condone or accept
it. But, if I never complain, it will probably never get better.

Apple showed it could do better with the introduction of the SE in '87.
Why can't they do that with HC and !!! System Software updates !!!

michael felt

(ps. Please excuse the empty which follow. I don't want to have another
article get junked because of not enough new lines.)

--
InterNet:	michael@psy.vu.nl (Michael Felt)
UUCP:		...!mcvax!vupsy!michael , michael@vupsy.UUCP

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (04/02/88)

In article <225@wundt.psy.vu.nl> michael@psy.vu.nl (M.A.M. Felt) writes:
|Isn't this wonderful. We in Europe (how is the rest of the world doing)
|finally get hypercard 1.0.1 while 1.1 is in use in North America (where else)
|and probably before we can get HC 1.1 HC 1.2 or 2.0 will be in use in,
|where else? - Not here !
|
|Apple showed it could do better with the introduction of the SE in '87.
|Why can't they do that with HC and !!! System Software updates !!!

I don't know if complaining will do much good.  The problem is one of
translation.  The manauals and code all need to be translated into the
appropiate language of your country.  In addition data/time conventions
monatery symbols, etc. all need to be changed.  Changes need to be tested
all of which takes time.  The other choice is to delay everything until
all the translations are ready.  Or perhaps you all could start speaking
English and using dollars... :-).

|michael felt

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

|(ps. Please excuse the empty which follow. I don't want to have another
|article get junked because of not enough new lines.)

Change all the beginning > to something else (like |).  Seems to fix
the problem.

mp@laura.UUCP (Michael Pickers) (04/08/88)

In article <1463@csib.csi.UUCP> jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) writes:

>I don't know if complaining will do much good.  The problem is one of
>translation.  The manauals and code all need to be translated into the
>appropiate language of your country.

This is true. But there are a lot of users around here, capable of reading
English. For example  I've been using the American version of Multifinder
long before it was available in W.-Germany. (I got my official copy on
January 22, 1988 , 5 mounth after I got the American version!)
I couldn't have used any color SW on my Mac II, distributed with the System
V4.1, without this (personal) upgrade (no color picker in German Sys V4.1!).

>In addition data/time conventions
>monatery symbols, etc. all need to be changed.  Changes need to be tested
>all of which takes time.

Wrong. Have you heard of the "International Utilities Package" ? Only the
system file needs to be changed for new countries to implement other
date, time, symbols etc.
For applications, only the menues need to be translated.

>The other choice is to delay everything until
>all the translations are ready.  Or perhaps you all could start speaking
>English and using dollars... :-).

No. I simply want to have the chance to get the new Version as fast as the
American community gets them. That means I take the English version immediatly
when it becomes available and switch to the local country version when the
translation of the menues has been done. I don't want to wait for the manuals
either. I feel happy if I can pick them up later!

What Apple should do is rush American Versions of any new SW releases
as fast to European dealers as they seem to do to American ones. Any
customer should have the chance to make a copy of the Programms if he
thinks it is worth the upgrade, even if it is English.

BTW: Sometimes the English version is even more usable than the (german) one.
     I.e. the German Multifinder searches for "Beenden" instead for "Quit"
     in the File menue. I think you can imagine what happens if I run
     English SW  and simply select shutdown (The majority of my SW is English!)
     Apple: Why not searching for both since there is a lot of SW not even
	    available in local country releases ?

>Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
>Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
>						- A. Brilliant

          Michael Pickers
          Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
          IRB - Informatik Rechner Betriebsgruppe
          4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
          E-mail address UUCP: mp@unido.uucp (...uunet!unido!mp)
          BITNET: mp@unido.bitnet