[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Possible Fix to Stack Analyzer Problem

dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) (04/14/88)

In article <703UD069225@NDSUVM1> UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) writes:
>In the May'88 issue of MacUser, pg 75-88, there is the instructons for a
>stack named Stack Analyzer. I typed it into a button script and setup a
>scrolling field as directed, but I can't get the thing to run past a
>certain "if" statement. I get to the "if" statement before the comment
>(-- If it's a card say what background it belongs to) but no farther. I
> (stuff deleted)
>                   -Eric.
I'm not e-mailing, because our mailer will choke on your return address...

I typed in the Stack Analyzer script last Sunday and got it to work (after
fixing some typos).  My entry mistakes sound very similar to what your
experiencing.  If your look at the line just before the comment "--If it's
a card,..." you will notice that the if statement,

	if object="bkgnd" or object="card" then put object ->
	&" field," &object &" button" into sub            ^
          ^                  ^

has important spaces (indicated by ^) and a soft return (option-return
indicated by ->).  The typos that I had entered were in a similar command
line where I had missed these important spaces within the quotations.
The effect of this is that the varible "sub" gets bkgndfield instead of
bkgnd field.  The latter is understood by HyperCard.

If your running this on a 1 Meg Machine (as I am) be careful.  I attempted
to analyze two large stacks (the 1040A stack and my own address stack) and
got two errors.  In one case I ran out of memory and the next mouse event
(clicking ok on the "Out of Memory" dialog box) caused my machine to crash.
With the other error, HC told me that it would not allow more than 300,000
characters in a field (I could be wrong on the number here) and caused the
script to abort.  I might attempt to add some error handling routines to
this script (any suggestions net-people???).

I hope this helps you solve your problem.  By the way, I'm running with
HC 1.1 which I picked up from my local dealer a week ago.  GOOD LUCK!

--

		Dean Wormell

			...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!dean