[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] error in 1.1

max@reed.UUCP (David Fedchenko) (04/22/88)

So here's the problem: I just got 1.1 from the computer department here
on campus yesterday.  I then went home and installed it and proceeded to
finish working on a stack I had started in 1.0.1  After finishing the
setup of the stack I went to delete all the extra new cards I had created
while testing the New Card button I had in the stack.  When I selected
delete card from the menu the next card in the stack would appear on the
screen and then it would beep twice and put up an alert window with the
simple, yet effective message "Unexpected Error 54321." with a "Sorry"
button in the corner which, when clicked, sent me back to the finder!  It
doesn't mess up the stack in any way, it just kicks out of HC.  This
same thing occurs when I choose cut card, or if I try to send a
message to that effect or whatever.  I even went so far as to create a new
stack and copy all my structures over to see if there was a basic corruption
in the stack, but the same thing happens.  This is a strange problem because
I'm doing nothing wierd in any way in this stack, it's just a bunch of fields
and buttons that do very simple things like showing and hiding each other. It
works fine except that i can't get rid of any cards.  This is an even more
baffling problem because it works fine in 1.0.1 but not in 1.1 and there's
no uninstall button to fix my home stack so I can use 1.0.1 again.

Anybody know what's going on?

	- David -
		{mumblemumble}!tektronix!reed!max

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (04/26/88)

I have had the same problems...although mine seemed to go away when I turned
off MultiFinder (this could have been a coincidence though).  I thought v1.1
was supposed to be a bug-fix release?  I'm going back to v1.01 (I'll probably
never use 'text arrows' anyway...).  What gives Bill/Dan??????????????????

Steve Witten
Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla.HP.COM

"...Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?..."

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (04/28/88)

In article <8946@reed.UUCP> max@reed.UUCP (David Fedchenko) writes:

[info about deletecard not working in version 1.1]

>Anybody know what's going on?

This is a bug in version 1.1 of Hypercard.  If there is a on Opencard
handler in the card *after* the one you are trying to delete, an on
Deletecard handler *in* the card you are trying to delete, or
on Opencard or on Deletecard handlers *in* the background or stack
scripts, you will get the 54321 error.  If you comment the handlers
out, you can delete the cards.  You can also use version 1.0.1.

--
Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1