[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Reports

hartquis@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (E. Eugene Hartquist) (04/23/88)

This is one persons opinion of Activision's Reports (tm)
(long)

My application is a directory stack (name, title, company,
address, phone, e-mail address, etc) with the ability to
categorize entries (personal, business, club member, Chrismas
Card, etc.)  It has facilities for producing mailing labels,
mail merge files and directory listings.  The problems come
in producing a nicely formatted directory.

I tried using a mail merge file in much the same way as the
XREF stack does it, but MS Word is very fragile here and it
breaks when I try to list more than 100 or so addresses.  It
is also very good at hiding problems when you try to debug a
document/mail merge file combination.  You often get some
meaningless message and no information about where in your
merge to look for the problem.  (Take note Mr. Gates, here is
an excellent area to target for improving Word.)

Reports sounded like the best thing since slice bread for
this application.  Nope.  The problems:

1) Reports has a bug that crashes your machine with an ID=5
error if you try to use the select feature.  That's not so
bad.  There is a fix on Activision's BBS (and other places --
call them).  I tried for two days to call into their BBS.  No
answer, so the bug hasn't been fixed in my copy.

2) You can put information from card fields into little boxes
in your report, each box is able to handle one font.
Hmmm...that is a problem if you are trying to put together
first name, last name, and professional title, with the last
name in bold, so that it looks like something.  The solution
is to write a script -on DetailSection- to format the name
and the put it into one box, forgetting about the fancy bold
stuff.  Carry this to the extreme, where you format whole
addresses using a script and put the whole thing into one
box.  Now the smallest address take up as much room on the
page as the biggest one.  I began to wonder, where is the
gain in using Reports.

3) Along the same lines,  Report provides these nice rulers
to aligning things -- but there are no little reference lines
in the ruler to tell you where you are.  You just have to
eyeball it.  And, I never did figure out what the default
margins were or how to measure from the edge of the paper to
where I wanted something.  You simple fiddle with things and
print again until you have something that looks presentable.
The preview feature isn't always helpful.

4) To use Reports you MUST put a ReportCard into your stack.
Do you have any idea the havoc this causes in an otherwise
smoothly functioning stack?  Suppose you land on the
ReportCard and ask for information from a field that isn't
there?  Also, it subverts things that you set up in your
stack.  E.g.  the idle handler I used failed, I set UserLevel
to 2,  it set it to 5, etc.  When I got the stack sort of
functional again, scripts began to looked like haywire (a
reference to the method of programming computers with a plug
board).  I began with the ReportCard at the back of my stack
(I wanted it out of the way until it was needed.)  When the
stack is sorted the ReportCard works its way toward the front
of the stack and finally becomes the second card in the
stack, which is not where I wanted it.  Now, Reports began to
look like more effort than its worth.

5) Trying to move my stack from a Mac II to a Mac Plus proved
to be the final frustration.  I wanted to find out how you
move a stack that uses reports.  Well, I could not get it to
work without or with Reports installed on the Mac Plus.
(Okay, you don't necessarily want to move your stack to
another machine anyway because it will cost some hundreds of
dollars, roughly the cost of 10 copies of Reports to
distribute a stack as shareware with the Reports function in
it.  I checked.)

If you want a RIGIDLY formated report, perhaps with graphics,
you can tolerate a foreign card in your pristine stack, you
have lots of patients with getting little boxes aligned
correctly and you have no plans to share your stack (or you
plan to sell it at a good price) then Report is for you.
(And, you can have it.)

Least you think I am a grinch let me tell you about this
delightful little DA called Word Finder.  The posing will be
in comp.sys.mac.

-- Gene

barad@tulane.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) (04/24/88)

In article <4536@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> hartquis@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (E. Eugene Hartquist) writes:
>I tried using a mail merge file in much the same way as the
>XREF stack does it, but MS Word is very fragile here and it
>breaks when I try to list more than 100 or so addresses.  It
>is also very good at hiding problems when you try to debug a
>document/mail merge file combination.  You often get some
>meaningless message and no information about where in your
>merge to look for the problem.  (Take note Mr. Gates, here is
>an excellent area to target for improving Word.)

Yup.  I have to agree.  Ever since I wrote Xref, I have been extremely
frustrated for the same reason.  MS Word chokes on any document
that is big.  I wrote and tested Xref with small documents (~10 pages),
and then I tried it on my thesis - BINGO!  Well, it's for this reason
that I have no longer tried to improve Xref.  I had a lot of things in
mind: more options to format bibliographies and cross-references
the way others might like it (not just the way I needed it), XCMDs
and XFCNs to speed things up, etc.

Maybe someday Microsoft will fix Word.  I'm not going to wait.  I have
seen a demo of FullWrite.  It doesn't handle bibliographies quite the
way I want, but maybe I can adapt Xref for FullWrite in particular...
Hmm, just a thought for now.

--
Herb Barad	Electrical Engineering Dept., Tulane Univ.
USENET:		barad@tulane.uucp

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (04/27/88)

>       There is a fix on Activision's BBS (and other places --
> call them).  I tried for two days to call into their BBS.  No
> answer, so the bug hasn't been fixed in my copy.

The fix is also on GEnie and CompuServe.  And, I understand that
Activision is sending it out free to registered users.  If you're
not using V1.1 of Hypercard, you'd be better advised to upgrade
Hypercard.

> 2) You can put information from card fields into little boxes
> in your report, each box is able to handle one font.

The restriction to one font is more of a Hypercard limitation
than a Reports limitation.

> Hmmm...that is a problem if you are trying to put together
> first name, last name, and professional title, with the last
> name in bold, so that it looks like something.  The solution
> is to write a script -on DetailSection- to format the name
> and the put it into one box, forgetting about the fancy bold
> stuff.  Carry this to the extreme, where you format whole
> addresses using a script and put the whole thing into one
> box.  Now the smallest address take up as much room on the
> page as the biggest one.

Make your address field scrolling (under the Field menu).  That
way, it will take up only the space needed.

>                          I began to wonder, where is the
> gain in using Reports.

I begin to wonder, how would you have designed Reports (without
redesigning Hypercard) to meet your needs?

> 3) Along the same lines,  Report provides these nice rulers
> to aligning things -- but there are no little reference lines
> in the ruler to tell you where you are.  You just have to
> eyeball it.  And, I never did figure out what the default
> margins were or how to measure from the edge of the paper to
> where I wanted something.  You simple fiddle with things and
> print again until you have something that looks presentable.
> The preview feature isn't always helpful.

Things aren't all that bad.  Reports has a grid facility and the
capability to align selected fields with each other.

> 4) To use Reports you MUST put a ReportCard into your stack.
> Do you have any idea the havoc this causes in an otherwise
> smoothly functioning stack?  Suppose you land on the
> ReportCard and ask for information from a field that isn't
> there?

Unnecessary and awkward, I agree.  I put checks in my script for
the right background.

>         Also, it subverts things that you set up in your
> stack.  E.g.  the idle handler I used failed, I set UserLevel
> to 2,  it set it to 5, etc.  When I got the stack sort of
> functional again, scripts began to looked like haywire (a
> reference to the method of programming computers with a plug
> board).  I began with the ReportCard at the back of my stack
> (I wanted it out of the way until it was needed.)  When the
> stack is sorted the ReportCard works its way toward the front
> of the stack and finally becomes the second card in the
> stack, which is not where I wanted it.  Now, Reports began to
> look like more effort than its worth.

Keep a copy of your stack without a report card.

> 5) Trying to move my stack from a Mac II to a Mac Plus proved
> to be the final frustration.  I wanted to find out how you
> move a stack that uses reports.  Well, I could not get it to
> work without or with Reports installed on the Mac Plus.

Bad news.  Activision should at least offer a de-install
facility.

> (Okay, you don't necessarily want to move your stack to
> another machine anyway because it will cost some hundreds of
> dollars, roughly the cost of 10 copies of Reports to
> distribute a stack as shareware with the Reports function in
> it.  I checked.)

Bundle a report-card-free copy of the stack along with any
Reports documents that it uses.  Shareware users with Reports can
install a report card in the stack and then install your Reports
formats in the report card.  People without Reports couldn't use
your Reports formats, but, then again, you can't use shareware
Excel templates without Excel either.

> If you want a RIGIDLY formated report, perhaps with graphics,
> you can tolerate a foreign card in your pristine stack, you
> have lots of patients with getting little boxes aligned
> correctly and you have no plans to share your stack (or you
> plan to sell it at a good price) then Report is for you.
> (And, you can have it.)

I think you're giving a good program a bad rap.  It's got some
problems and some bugs, but it also has some pretty sophisticated
features, like escapes to hypertalk in mid report.

hh

hartquis@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (E. Eugene Hartquist) (04/30/88)

To Henry Halff:  Thanks for your comments re. my "bad rap" aimed at
Reports.  You, and others, have taught me a thing or three more about
Reports than I knew when I posted my comments.  Guess that is how we
learn.

Wade Blomgren, in a private mail writes; Might it be possible to leave
the "report card" in another otherwise empty (separate) stack until it
is actually needed to produce a report in your main stack, then have
your stack go get the "report card" and paste it into itself, deleting
it when the the report process is complete?

I think so, but didn't think of it and haven't tried it.  Does someone
have an answer?

Sorry, I am not ready to retract my bad opion of Reports.  At very least
developers of other HyperCard utilities ought to be aware that one Reports
user found that a foriegn card in a stack can be very troublesome and might
avoid that technique.  At best Activision or a competitor may come up with
a better product.

Why would I spend time on this if I don't like Reports?  Well, I need a
better report generator of some sort.  I am open to suggestions that will
make Reports more palatable.  It is a good thing there are people like
Wade and Henry to offer them.

Really :-)

-- Gene

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (05/04/88)

> Wade Blomgren, in a private mail writes; Might it be possible to leave
> the "report card" in another otherwise empty (separate) stack until it
> is actually needed to produce a report in your main stack, then have
> your stack go get the "report card" and paste it into itself, deleting
> it when the the report process is complete?

Or have the report card paste itself into your main stack; see below.

> I think so, but didn't think of it and haven't tried it.  Does someone
> have an answer?

I might.  Make a stack (say "Reports Master") with one or more report cards in
it.  Design layouts for these cards that generate reports for any of the
backgrounds in any of your data stacks.  (You needn't install a report card in
any of your data stacks to do this.)  Then add a button to the ReportCard
background.  The button (call it "External Print") should have the following
script.

on mouseUp
  put "Report on what stack?"
  get sfgetfile("STAK")
  if it is empty then
    hide message
    exit mouseUp
  end if
  push this card
  domenu "Copy Card"
  go to it
  domenu "Paste Card"
  send mouseUp to background button Print
  domenu "Delete Card"
  pop card
end mouseUp

To use the beast, first select a layout (as usual).  Then push the External
Print button with the above script.  You will be asked to choose a stack, and
can choose any data stack that has a background for the selected layout.
The script will paste a report card into the target stack, print the report,
delete the report card from the target stack, and return to the original
stack.

You'll never need to install a report card in any other stacks.  All layouts
can be designed in the Master Reports stack as long as their backgrounds are
set to the appropriate data stacks.

Thanks to Wade & Eugene for coming up with this idea.