[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Serial XCMDS slow

flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (04/29/88)

In article <50965@sun.uucp> KJELD%MCOPN1@eg.csc.ti.com writes:
>  As a solution, you might want to look at the
>HyperTerm stack which contains generic drivers for the serial ports.  Then

Yeah, but these babies are _sloooow_.  HyperTerm is a neat idea; I might
live in it several hours a day if it didn't make Red Ryder look fast.  It's
no better on a Mac II.  Anybody know why, or have a fix?
From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) (05/06/88)

In article <454@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> sheridan@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:
>Yeah, but these babies are _sloooow_.  HyperTerm is a neat idea; I might
>live in it several hours a day if it didn't make Red Ryder look fast.  It's
>no better on a Mac II.  Anybody know why, or have a fix?

HyperCard makes a copy of an XCMD before calling it. For this reason, the
XCMD is in a different place almost every time it gets called. If the XCMD
takes about 10KB of RAM, hypercard has to copy that 10KB every time you want
to output a character or poll for incoming characters.

Questions:	Why does hypercard do this???
		Does Apple deliberately try to slow down hypercard?
		Will we ever get HyperCard "user items"?
		(I like dialog manager "user items", hc
		 user items would be great too...'XOBJ'?)

Juri Munkki
jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
jmunkki@fingate.bitnet

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (05/07/88)

In article <12609@santra.UUCP> jmunkki@santra.UUCP (Juri Munkki) writes:
>		Will we ever get HyperCard "user items"?
>		(I like dialog manager "user items", hc
>		 user items would be great too...'XOBJ'?)
>
>Juri Munkki
>jmunkki@santra.hut.fi
>jmunkki@fingate.bitnet

I love this idea. A user item is the correct metphor that the HyperCard
world has needed. That is the way to do it. I can even think of how it could
be implemented. Like an XCMD, except the data is all event related. HyperCard
would provide a handle to a storage space for the user item's data, and
would send messages in the menu/window/control definition style.

Apple, please do this. This is a great idea. I am sure that Bill's team
can whip this up before the 2.0 release.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -