[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 1.2?

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (05/04/88)

I just read today that HyperCard 1.2 will be available soon (I just got 1.1!).
Does anyone in netland have any information on this?  Is it just bug fixes (of
the 1.1 bug fixes) or are there any significant new features?  I read news a
lot so you can post replies or you can email them directly to me.

Steve Witten
Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla.HP.COM

"...Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?..."

see1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Ellen Keyne Seebacher) (05/07/88)

In article <950004@hpiacla.HP.COM> steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) writes:
>I just read today that HyperCard 1.2 will be available soon (I just got 1.1!).
>Does anyone in netland have any information on this?  Is it just bug fixes (of
>the 1.1 bug fixes) or are there any significant new features?

I'm assuming that there's major interest in this, and that not everyone reads
_Macintosh Today_, so (mostly paraphrased to avoid copyright infringement):

  * HyperCard 1.2 should be available by mid-May, and will be free to
    HyperCard owners.

  * It was created "primarily to support that recently announced Apple device"
    (CD-ROM).

  * Another CD-ROM change:  multi-user opening of a read-only stack -- though
    not to an unlocked one.

  * The major visible difference to those without CD-ROM drives is *speed* --
    with some parts 300 times faster and the overall operation noticeably
    faster.

  * More flexible programming aids:  improvements in cursor control, "alignment
    of buttons and other objects," and edit checking of fields, and additional
    HyperTalk commands.

Ellen Keyne Seebacher              University of Chicago Computation Center
staff.ellen@chip.uchicago.edu      ...{ihnp4!gargoyle, oddjob}!sphinx!see1

"That which does not kill us makes us hungry."  -- Lord Corun

Ilan@cup.portal.com (05/07/88)

Steve,
According to MacWeek magazine, HC 1.2 is "soon-to-be-released". The primary
changes involve provisions for the AppleCD SC which is read-only, multiple
user access over AppleTalk with read-only media, 200 bug fixes, Find String,
Find whole, plus many more "minor" added features.  The article also mentions
May 15 as the ship date, but project engineers provided the date; its not
official.

Good luck..
                                     - Ilan Rabinowitz -   with ILANET(tm)
                                      Ilan@cup.portal.com

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (05/09/88)

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM(Steve Witten) writes in comp.sys.mac.hypercard

>I just read today that HyperCard 1.2 will be available soon (I just got 1.1!).
>Does anyone in netland have any information on this?  Is it just bug fixes (of
>the 1.1 bug fixes) or are there any significant new features?  I read news a
>lot so you can post replies or you can email them directly to me.

	I don't have the release notes in front of me but to be brief some of the
new things in 1.2 include:
	- MUCH BETTER handling of Lock cards on things such as CDROM and Servers
	- Bug Fixes (of course)
	- A whole slew of new commands and object properties
	- a couple of other things that slip my mind.
	The release comes with a stack on new features that contains approximately 40
cards many of which contain scrolling fields.  The internal Apple docs on the
changes are about 1/2 inch thick.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +