[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] CD ROMs and Video Disks

lpringle@bbn.com (Luis Pringle) (05/11/88)

I am investigating the use of CD ROMS, and Video disks with the
Macintosh, and was wondering what advice/pointers people could give
me.  I will be using them mostly for storage of large picture
databases, with associated data.  I may have need for short segments
of motion video.  I am considering using Hypercard.

I would appreciate suggestions as to which medium is better, what
hardware interfacing issues there are, and any software issues that I
should be aware of.

						Thanx,
							Lewis G. Pringle

pkahn@meridian.UUCP (05/21/88)

I strongly suggest that anyone looking for a videodisk driver out of
Hypercard get The Voyager Company's (213-474-0032) "The Voyager
Videostack: A Toolkit for Interactive Video". It supports the Pioneer
4200, 4100, 6000 and Sony 1200, 1500, 1500P, 2000, 2000P, 1000A
videodisc players.  It is designed for you to examine their scripts
and copy their player control buttons and resources. The DIN8 to RS232
cable cost $25 and the software is about $50. Truely awesome stack for
videoplayer enthusiasts.

phil...

(I have no affiliation with Voyager other than being a satisfied
customer.)

sean@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Sean McLinden) (05/23/88)

In article <4013@zodiac.UUCP> pkahn@meridian.UUCP (Phil Kahn) writes:
>I strongly suggest that anyone looking for a videodisk driver out of
>Hypercard get The Voyager Company's (213-474-0032) "The Voyager
>Videostack: A Toolkit for Interactive Video".
>Truely awesome stack for videoplayer enthusiasts.

I'll second this wholeheartedly. The latest release of the software
is well designed and almost instantly useful. We currently have three
separate projects using this software and I would recommend it to
anyone with an application for interactive videodisk.

BTW, their prices on players are the best I've seen, as well. About
$800.00 for the LDP-4200 compared with $1100.00 other places.

Sean McLinden

solution@ditsyda.oz ( George Bray) (06/04/88)

In article <1208@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, sean@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Sean McLinden) writes:
> In article <4013@zodiac.UUCP> pkahn@meridian.UUCP (Phil Kahn) writes:
> >I strongly suggest that anyone looking for a videodisk driver out of
> >Hypercard get The Voyager Company's (213-474-0032) "The Voyager
> >Videostack: A Toolkit for Interactive Video".

So what videodisks are available now? I saw Apple Australia showing
a disk with all sorts of paintings, artists and information on it.
WOW!@ If thats what you call interactive video I can hardly wait
for someone to lend me one (he said displaying his postal address ;-)

Geo[rge] Bray  Logical Solutions Australia  55 Mountain Street, Ultimo 2007

VOICE:      +61-2-212-6655           \/         ACSNet: solution@ditsyda.oz
  FAX:      +61-2-281-1259           /\          ALINK:            AUST0105
                                                   CIS:          72067,2764
"No matter which window is viewed,     Keylink/Dialcom:           07:LFM001
 the scenery looks the same."                   MacNet:            Not Yet!