[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard document opening across AppleShare

danm@tekig5.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) (06/10/88)

The following hypercard command:

	open "docname" with "appname"

does not work when the document is on an AppleShare volume and everything else
(stack, HyperCard, application) is on the startup volume (in this case, an
internal hard disk).  If the document is on the startup volume, or even on
another disk, such as a floppy, the command works fine.  I have tried this
with two different applications (4D and MS Word) and each one reports that
the document file could not be found.  Again, this happens only if the doc
is on an AppleShare volume.

The configuration is:  several Mac SE's networked with AppleShare via PhoneNet.
The file server is a CMS-60.

The specific scenario is that HyperCard is being used as a "finder" shell to
launch other app's with specific documents.

If anyone has experienced the same thing, or if you've tried the same thing and
it has worked for you where it has not for me, please let me know.  Also,
if you know of a fix or a workaround, I need that too.

Dan Milliron

danm@tekig5.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) (06/11/88)

> The following hypercard command:
>
> 	open "docname" with "appname"
>
> does not work when the document is on an AppleShare volume and everything else
> (stack, HyperCard, application) is on the startup volume (in this case, an
> internal hard disk).  If the document is on the startup volume, or even on
> another disk, such as a floppy, the command works fine.  I have tried this
> with two different applications (4D and MS Word) and each one reports that
> the document file could not be found.  Again, this happens only if the doc
> is on an AppleShare volume.
>
> The configuration is:  several Mac SE's networked with AppleShare via PhoneNet.
> The file server is a CMS-60.
>

> Dan Milliron

I received a reply via E-mail that made me realize I have not included enough
nitty-gritty about this problem.

The problem is not that *HyperCard* can't find the document.  Even if it
couldn't find it, HyperCard would ask me where it is.  The problem is that
the *launched application* (4D or MS Word) can't find it once the app has
started.  Again, this only happens if the doc is on the AppleShare file
server.  The app starts up (complete with opening greetings or menu bar
drawing) and then gives me an error message that it can't find the file.
The two apps I've tried give different style alerts, but both have the
same meaning.

BTW, if everything (HyperCard, Home, the application, and the document) are on
the file server, no problems occur.  This configuration is not acceptable,
however, because the network is too slow.

Dan Milliron

alan@mtxinu.UUCP (Alan Tobey) (06/16/88)

In article <2860@tekig5.TEK.COM>, danm@tekig5.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:
> The following hypercard command:
>
> 	open "docname" with "appname"
>
> does not work when the document is on an AppleShare volume and everything else
> (stack, HyperCard, application) is on the startup volume (in this case, an
> internal hard disk).

This works fine when the target document is on a TOPS volume on a VAX 4.3
server [small commercial: available from Mt Xinu as part of XINET], so
your problem is likely not a hypercard bug.  Have you carefully checked
how the pathname is specified?