[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] hypercarding over TOPS

bmenell@pnet06.cts.com (Bryan Menell) (07/07/88)

Since the net has been a little slow lately, I'll throw this out...

   I've had trouble accessing stacks over a TOPS network. My stack is
on another computer (serving to me via TOPS), and when I click on it
I get that dialog box that helps HyperCard get the path name. The
wierd thing is... when I click on "Phone Stack" (on a TOPSed volume)
the dialog says, "Where is 'Phone Stack'?" Well! I just clicked on it!
So I select it again from the directory, and it dies and goes to the
home card. I have tried this with all configurations of mounting and
publishing, write-protect/one writer/many writers, and the problem
persists. Locally, everything works fine. It is just when I try to access
files that are on a TOPS volume.
   It keeps going to the home card, and there is no way to even look at
files on a TOPS volume. Even if I double-click on them from the Finder.
Anybody have any ideas? Thanks,
                                   Bryan
+-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-+
Bryan Menell, Stackhead              UUCP: hodge.cts.com!pnet06!bmenell
Pisces Publishing/HyperMedia Group   ARPA: hodge!pnet06!bmenell@crash nosc.mil
(714) 540-6744  Fax: (714) 540-6936  INET: bmenell@pnet06.cts.com
          -=> CServe <72307,2100> GEnie [B.MENELL] AppleLink: D1319 <=-

              "Bill Atkinson is as close to a God as you can get!"
+-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-+

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (07/08/88)

In article <270@hodge.UUCP> bmenell@pnet06.cts.com (Bryan Menell) writes:
>   I've had trouble accessing stacks over a TOPS network. My stack is
>on another computer (serving to me via TOPS), and when I click on it
>I get that dialog box that helps HyperCard get the path name. The
>wierd thing is... when I click on "Phone Stack" (on a TOPSed volume)
>the dialog says, "Where is 'Phone Stack'?" Well! I just clicked on it!
>So I select it again from the directory, and it dies and goes to the
>home card. I have tried this with all configurations of mounting and
>publishing, write-protect/one writer/many writers, and the problem
>persists. Locally, everything works fine. It is just when I try to access
>files that are on a TOPS volume.

The same problem occurs with stacks on an AUFS/AppleShare server (running on
a Unix system).  The workd that I've heard is that HyperCard does some
funny things to the filename (like changing the case of letters) before
trying to open it.  On a real Macintosh fileserver, using the Macintosh
file system, since filename searchs are case insensitive, it works OK.
But Unix is case-sensitive when looking for file names.

This is what I found out, using the debug mode of AUFS.  I put a stack called
Inventory on the mounted volume and tried to open it.  The Finder used the
correct name Inventory, but HyperCard was looking for a file iNvEnToRy (finger
you your throat :-|).  If I change the name of the stack to iNvEnToRy, it
works!!!!

I hope Apple is listening, because this is a major BUG, especially since Apple
is pushing connectivity with other hardware.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720