[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Font Substitution

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (07/02/88)

An interesting problem...

I was playing around with the 8mm label stack from the Stack Ideas,
and found that, when printed with a LaserWriter, some of the text
fields did not do font substitution (i.e. Geneva was printed as
a bit-mapped Geneva), while other fields did the substitution just
fine and used the LaserWriter's built in fonts.

It seems to be related to the text stored in the fields, although
I have not been able to find a discernable pattern.  (Yes, it does
change, depending on what text I have displayed in the fields!).

I was wondering if anyone had run into something similar...

I have Hypercard v1.2.1, System 4.2, and Finder 6.0 in this
environment.  Oh, I had also heavily customized the aforementioned
stack, but that shouldn't have caused this...

Thanks for any help!

Alan Takahashi                            !     hplabs   amdahl
Bell-Northern Research                    !          \   /
Mountain View, CA                         !   .....!{-----}!bnrmtv!takahashi
                                          !          /   \
"When you need to knock on wood is when   !    3comvax   ames
  you realize the world's composed of     !-----------------------------------
  aluminum and vinyl." -- Flugg's Law     ! DISCLAIMER: It's all an illusion.

nash@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Ron Nash) (07/03/88)

In article <3625@bnrmtv.UUCP> takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) writes:

>I was playing around with the 8mm label stack from the Stack Ideas,
>and found that, when printed with a LaserWriter, some of the text
>fields did not do font substitution (i.e. Geneva was printed as
>a bit-mapped Geneva), while other fields did the substitution just
>fine and used the LaserWriter's built in fonts.

Font substitution will fail when two fields overlap by more than
a pixel or two. I believe the same problem arises when a button is
superimposed on a field.

-Ron Nash
 Center for the Study of Language and Information
 Stanford University
 nash@csli.stanford.edu

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (07/09/88)

> In article <3625@bnrmtv.UUCP> I wrote:
> >I was playing around with the 8mm label stack from the Stack Ideas,
> >and found that, when printed with a LaserWriter, some of the text
> >fields did not do font substitution (i.e. Geneva was printed as
> >a bit-mapped Geneva), while other fields did the substitution just
> >fine and used the LaserWriter's built in fonts.
>
> Font substitution will fail when two fields overlap by more than
> a pixel or two. I believe the same problem arises when a button is
> superimposed on a field.
>
> -Ron Nash

That's fine...the affected fields ARE overlapping with other fields.
Curiously enough, though, the problem that I'm encountering will
appear unpredictably, depending on what text I'm storing in those
fields.  Text length does not seem to be a factor, although I haven't
found any consistent pattern.  Any ideas?