[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] appleshare & hypercard,hypercard move files between volumes

whitney@sdsu.UUCP (Roger Whitney) (07/14/88)

    Can anyone help with the following.  XCMDS to perform the task would be
ideal. Pointers to the proper function calls would be great. Pointers to the
proper documentation would be nice.

a) I'm looking for a way of logging on and off an appleshare network while in
hypercard. Basicly I would like a button that a user can used to log on or off
appleshare.

b)  I would like to move files between volumes while in hypercard. In
particular I would like to move files from an apple share file server to a
local hard drive or local floppy, or from the local hard drive to the floppy.

c)  I would really like the machine, when booting, to look for the hard drive
first, when the floppy. I suspect that this is some thing that can not  be
changed.

Thanks in advance.
Roger Whitney
whitney!sdsu@ucsd.edu   arpa

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (07/14/88)

In article <3074@sdsu.UUCP> whitney@sdsu.UUCP (Roger Whitney) writes:

>    Can anyone help with the following.  XCMDS to perform the task would be
>ideal. Pointers to the proper function calls would be great. Pointers to the
>proper documentation would be nice.
>
>a) I'm looking for a way of logging on and off an appleshare network while in
>hypercard. Basicly I would like a button that a user can used to log on or off
>appleshare.
>
>b)  I would like to move files between volumes while in hypercard. In
>particular I would like to move files from an apple share file server to a
>local hard drive or local floppy, or from the local hard drive to the floppy.
>
>c)  I would really like the machine, when booting, to look for the hard drive
>first, when the floppy. I suspect that this is some thing that can not  be
>changed.

These particular functions are not available in any XCMDs that I am
aware of, but could easily be written.  Just get yourself a copy of MPW
and MPW Pascal, Gary Bond's XCMD book ("XCMDs for HyperCard"), and a
copy of Inside Macintosh. Automatically logging on to AppleShare may
require a bit of hacking in order to do--the AppleTalk people would
probably rather have you use the Chooser, but MPW 3.0 will include an
MPW Tool that will allow mounting an AppleShare volume, so it is
certainly doable. (You may need "Inside AppleTalk", for example.)

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

kurtzman@pollux.usc.edu (Stephen Kurtzman) (07/14/88)

In article <13903@apple.Apple.COM> dan@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Dan Allen) writes:
>These particular functions are not available in any XCMDs that I am
>aware of, but could easily be written.  Just get yourself a copy of MPW
>and MPW Pascal, Gary Bond's XCMD book ("XCMDs for HyperCard"), and a
>copy of Inside Macintosh. ... (You may need "Inside AppleTalk", for example.)

Gee, MPW and MPW Pascal... that's a few hundred dollars. Plus five volumes
of Inside Mac at approx $25/book. Plus an Inside Mac X-Ref at $10. Plus
an extra $20 or so for the Gary Bond book. That's only about $400 to $500
dollars total.

Alternative advice: buy the books you need, by all means, but pass on MPW.
Cheaper alternatives are Turbo Pascal, Lightspeed Pascal, and Lightspeed C.
XCMD's can be written using each of these compilers.