[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] sorting

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (07/11/88)

I'd like to sort some text in a field (one item per line). Has anyone out
there any good suggestions on this? I tried writing the data into a bunch of
cards, then sorting them, then gathering it back, but not surprisingly, this
is really slow. Does anyone have a suitable XMCD, or other ideas?

Ralph

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (07/14/88)

In article <467@cf-cm.UUCP> ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
>I'd like to sort some text in a field (one item per line). Has anyone out
>there any good suggestions on this? I tried writing the data into a bunch of
>cards, then sorting them, then gathering it back, but not surprisingly, this
>is really slow. Does anyone have a suitable XMCD, or other ideas?
>
>Ralph

Several people have written XCMDs that sort fields.  Gary Bond's book
"XCMD's for HyperCard" has a sortfield command in both C and Pascal.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/22/88)

There are at least two different set of XCMD's that will sort the lines in a
field.

Both are sharware.  I could attempt to forward them to you, but they would have
to be in a mail message (rather large), and I would need to dig them up from
the archives...

your best bet is to look on compuserve or genie, if not there, check out the
archives on the nets.  If all that fails, contact me directly and I will send
them to you.

B.Bumgarner

an alternate way to sort a field is to presort it;  as the field is built, put
each line in in order using hypertalk..  This works especially well if the
contents of the field change over time.