[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Importing MacPaint files

PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA (07/16/88)

I'm trying to read a bunch of MacPaint files into Hypercard, so I tried doing
a doMenu "Import Paint...", but it wants me to pick a filename.  This is bogus!
I do not want to manually enter all those names.  Does anyone know of an XCMD
that can do this (or even put a Paint file to the Clipboard where I can paste
it)?   I looked at ImportPict, but it assumes PICT resource data.  It won't
work with MacDraw PICT files even.  MacPaint or MacDraw files would suffice.

Of course, the big question is why Hypercard (which allows you to do
EVERYTHING from script control) doesn't have an ImportPaint command?

Jon

         N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
          M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
           F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
            E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
             C                           Livermore, California 94550
              C                                (415) 423-4239

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (07/17/88)

In article <60174@sun.uucp> PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA writes:
>I'm trying to read a bunch of MacPaint files into Hypercard, so I tried doing
>a doMenu "Import Paint...", but it wants me to pick a filename.  This is bogus!
>I do not want to manually enter all those names.  ...
>
>Jon
>
>         N         L                          pugh@nmfecc.arpa
>          M    A    L          National Magnetic Fusion Energy Computer Center
>           F    T    N             Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
>            E         L                       PO Box 5509 L-561
>             C                           Livermore, California 94550
>              C                                (415) 423-4239

I don't have an answer, but would like to generalize this flame.  My biggest
complaint with domenu right now is that It should be possible to have the
script supply the parameter instead of necesarrily bringing up dialogs.
It should be possible to do this for any domenu which would ordinarily
bring up a dialog..

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-9515   (school office)

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (07/21/88)

>I don't have an answer, but would like to generalize this flame.  My biggest
>complaint with domenu right now is that It should be possible to have the
>script supply the parameter instead of necesarrily bringing up dialogs.
>It should be possible to do this for any domenu which would ordinarily
>bring up a dialog..
>
>Josh

This is the essence of the problem I have with domenu "new stack..." I
want the script to provide the answer to the ... dialog. What say, Apple??

Scott Bayes

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (07/28/88)

In article <10520015@hpfcdc.HP.COM> bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) writes:
>This is the essence of the problem I have with domenu "new stack..." I
>want the script to provide the answer to the ... dialog. What say, Apple??

Your request is valid and I hope that we can incorporate scriptable
versions of New Stack... and other related commands in our next release.
I don't know why we haven't already done it....

Dan Allen
Software Explorer working on HyperCard
Apple Computer