[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard with multiple monitors...

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (07/22/88)

Am I crazy, or what?

I have a MacintoshII with two monitors at home, one is a Sony 1302 attacted
to a standard Apple video card with 256 colors, the second is an Apple
monochrome also with a standard video card with 16 colors.  Here's my quandry:

If I have the Sony 1302 set to 256 colors, and the monochrome set to 2 colors,
HyperCard will not show me any visual effects on the second screen.  Hmmm.

Secondly:
If I have *both* monitors set to 2 color mode HyperCard will only show me
viusal effects on the "main" monitor, which in this case is the Sony 1302.
Now, I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a glaring _bug_ in HyperCard...

Any answers...?

		David
David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector          New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."

XYZZYGLORP

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (07/28/88)

In article <3150003@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU> spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:
>I have a MacintoshII with two monitors at home, one is a Sony 1302 attacted
>to a standard Apple video card with 256 colors, the second is an Apple
>monochrome also with a standard video card with 16 colors.  Here's my quandry:
>
>If I have the Sony 1302 set to 256 colors, and the monochrome set to 2 colors,
>HyperCard will not show me any visual effects on the second screen.  Hmmm.
>
>Secondly:
>If I have *both* monitors set to 2 color mode HyperCard will only show me
>viusal effects on the "main" monitor, which in this case is the Sony 1302.
>Now, I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a glaring _bug_ in HyperCard...

This is NOT a bug.  HyperCard does visual effects only on the **main**
screen, where main is defined to be the screen that the menu bar lives
on.  This "main" screen must also be in 2 color mode.  This is because
the visual effects write directly to the screen, so the screen depth
must be 1 bit deep.  Someday, with more code, we MAY be able to extend
the functionality of viseffects to multiple monitors and color screens,
but for now, this is the way it was designed to work.

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer

mls@whutt.UUCP (Michael Siemon) (07/29/88)

In article <14837@apple.Apple.COM>, dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:

> ...  This "main" screen must also be in 2 color mode.  This is because
> the visual effects write directly to the screen, so the screen depth
> must be 1 bit deep.  Someday, with more code, we MAY be able to extend
> the functionality of viseffects to multiple monitors and color screens,
> but for now, this is the way it was designed to work.

The phrasing of this leads me to hope (probably vainly) that I could put
color on cards if I AVOIDED the visual effects.  Am I just whistling in the
dark, or is something of the sort possible (now, or even Real Soon Now?)
--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (07/30/88)

Thanks for the explanation.  I understand all of the limitations regarding
color, but I find the fact that HyperCard will not do visual effects when
the 2nd (or Nth) monitor is in 2 color mode when the primary monitor is
also in two color mode to be disappointing. I am suprised that HyperCard writes
directly to the screen, but I now under stand why a friend had (has) such
problems using HyperCard on his E-Machine big picture... (its not pretty...)

Will version 2.0 be announced any time soon?  Boston...?