[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Icons

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (07/23/88)

Lately I have been seeing some stacks with incredibly detailed icons.
I have opened some with Resedit to see if there were something unusual
about them. they looked 'normal' in Resedit fat bits.

MY question-  Are these icons being created with Resedit, or are they
being created using an icon maker program that can take a more detailed
drawing and convert it into icon format. I have always used Resedit,
and have come up with OK looking simple icons. Are there a lot of artists
out there composing icons on the fat bit window while looking at the icon
sized window or a nifty application that has excaped my Resedit works so
why use something else mentality????? Jelous minds want to know.

TeriAnn Wakeman

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (07/27/88)

In article <6410016@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>Lately I have been seeing some stacks with incredibly detailed icons.
>I have opened some with Resedit to see if there were something unusual
>about them. they looked 'normal' in Resedit fat bits.
>
>MY question-  Are these icons being created with Resedit, or are they
>being created using an icon maker program that can take a more detailed
>drawing and convert it into icon format. I have always used Resedit,
>and have come up with OK looking simple icons. Are there a lot of artists
>out there composing icons on the fat bit window while looking at the icon
>sized window or a nifty application that has excaped my Resedit works so
>why use something else mentality????? Jelous minds want to know.

In all probability, someone has made use of the IconMaker DA. When this
DA is invoked, a 32x32 pixel square appears on the screen. You move this
square anywhere you like (over some nifty digitized artwork, for example)
and click the mouse button. Then you are prompted for a file to save the
ICN# resource into (or if you hold the command key down while clicking,
an ICON resource gets saved).

Mail me if you can't get hold of a copy...

--
==========      .......     ==========================================
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {trwrb hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!thecloud

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/29/88)

There is a stack available called Icon Factory that has some fairly powerful
Icon editing features.  It also comes with close to 1,000 (maybe more) pre-fab
icons.  It is a commercial product done by James Paul.  It also has an Icon
Librarian utility that is pretty useful.

B.Bum

+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Bill Bumgarner              | EMail: wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Carnegie-Mellon University  |                                      |
| The box is ugly on a non mono-spaced font system.                  |

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (07/30/88)

Well, I (as a HyperCard artist :-) use ResEdit all the time... It's simply the
version of ResEdit which displays the icon as it looks--It takes a bit of
playing around with, but once you get the hang of doing it, it looks great.

You can also use IconMaker, or several DA's which pull out paint images from
the screen and dump them into "ICN#" or "ICON" resources... I prefer ResEdit
because of ease of use (no convert to->from).