[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] hc 1.2.1 crashing after a paste

cml@diplodocus.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Lott) (08/01/88)

Hello,

I am working on a small (about 50K with no data) stack with a
single background, about 20 buttons, etc.  One XFCN, the implementation
of SFGetFile (wonderful!).

The problem:  after a cut/copy text operation of about 30 lines
in a script "window", I go to another window to paste the text.
The paste succeeds, I click "OK", and HC tries to write out the change.
Unfortunately, it keeps writing...and writing...and writing...until I reboot.
Once I let it run for about 5 minutes.  This kills my stack, of course.

S/w: sytem 6.0, hc 1.2.1; h/w:  Mac+, 1MB ram, 2 800K floppies,
all h/w as-delivered.  I believe that I was a little low on disk space
at the time, but not completely out (maybe 100K free on each).

After many reboots & retries, I reached a point where adding even
5 lines would cause this behavior.  Has anyone else seen this?
I suspect that I ran into a limit on the script length, but the # of
lines in the script (was the Stack script, BTW) was about 300.
Is this excessive?

I would prefer not to hear that HC is no longer supported on  "only"
a dual-floppy system, but if that is the case, do tell.....

chris...
(anyone have a 20Mb disk they're not using? :-)
<standard disclaimers apply - this is my private project>
-=-
cml@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu   Computer Science Department, OSU     614-292-6542
 or:  ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!osu-cis!cml

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (08/07/88)

In article <19039@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> cml@diplodocus.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Lott) writes:
>The problem:  after a cut/copy text operation of about 30 lines
>in a script "window", I go to another window to paste the text.
>The paste succeeds, I click "OK", and HC tries to write out the change.
>Unfortunately, it keeps writing...and writing...and writing...until I reboot.
>Once I let it run for about 5 minutes.  This kills my stack, of course.

Scripts have a maximum size of 30000 characters. (No specific line
limit)  Obviously the behaviour you are seeing is not right.  Have you
tried compacting the stack?  It sounds like the stack got corrupted...

If the stack compacts successfully and you still have this problem, send
the stack and a description of the problem to me here at Apple and will
see what's going on.

The usual binhexed, packed, or stuffed format is fine.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer
dan@apple