[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard over a network.

brad@saturn.ucsc.edu (Brad Smith) (08/02/88)

We are attempting to set up a network disk server with Hypercard,
and can't get things to run.  Is there some limitation that won't
allow Hypercard to run over a network, or are we doing something
wrong (or are there tricks to getting it to work)?  The network
software is MacServe.

Thanks in advance,

Brad Smith
Systems Administrator
Baskin Center, UC Santa Cruz
brad@saturn.ucsc.edu
...!ucbvax!ucscc!saturn!brad

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (08/07/88)

In article <4355@saturn.ucsc.edu> brad@saturn.ucsc.edu (Brad Smith) writes:
>We are attempting to set up a network disk server with Hypercard,
>and can't get things to run.  Is there some limitation that won't
>allow Hypercard to run over a network, or are we doing something
>wrong (or are there tricks to getting it to work)?  The network
>software is MacServe.

Make sure you are using version 1.2 or later of HyperCard, as that
release was specifically targeted for support of servers and CD-ROM
drives.

Secondly, each individual user should have their own Home Stack, located
on their own personal workstation in the System Folder.  There probably
should NOT be a Home stack on the server in the best of all possible
worlds.

Stacks can be opened read-only by multiple people for browsing and
copying (not cutting!), or as read-write by just one person.

HyperCard is used all the time this way at Apple with AppleShare.
Perhaps MacServe has problems.... it has in the past.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer