[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Various: CD-ROM, Color, File Formats, Sound

bmenell@pnet06.cts.com (Bryan Menell) (08/03/88)

Hello!

>Where can I find out what format the CD manufacturers want to see the data
in?
>I presume it's 9-track tape of some sort, but what sort?

   Most CD-ROM pressing facilities will let you FedEx them a big fat
hard disk that they will plug into THEIR Meridian Data publishing
system. Most will also let you play with the CD Publisher so you can
see exactly how your CD will look, feel, and respond. If you don't
care at all, just send your disk. One of the premier CD Publishing
houses, Discovery Systems, just filed Chapter 11. Apple used Discovery
for everything. I think they are just reorganizing, and they are
still publishing ROM's. For info on anything, call Jack Ryan at
Discovery at (614) 761-4287. We use 3M Corp. because they have the
best quality, and are definitely going to be around in a year.

>        Has anyone a solution for this, or a way to link scrolling
>fields so that the elevator bars are common?

   You can trap the tabKey and move the current selection to the
appropriate line in the field. Then to make the bars scroll at the
same time, just check "the scroll of field x" and then "set the
scroll of field x to y" for each scrolling field. Then they will
scroll simultaneously.

>re: Help with sound files.

   The HyperCard Sound Effects Studio from Stax (800) MAC-STAX should
be shipping this week. Call and find out. The program features SoundCap-to-
SND converters, a sound library, and over 100 professionally recorded
sounds.

>I am looking for a xfnc or xcmd for hypercard which will allow me to
>filter a Word file as I read it into a card field.

   You might try Port Authority, written by Steve Michel and distributed
by Heizer software (415) 943-7667, orders (800) 888-7667. The cost
is $25.

>Regarding color...

   There is an external command that allows you to do color on a Mac II.
It is pretty rough, and any re-drawing screws up your color. You set the
color, and then everything drawn from then on is in that color. So the
trick is set your color, do your drawing, then set the color back to
black. Pretty prehistoric...

>Have the file formats been published or are they made available only
>to registered developers? If so, where?

   HyperCard's file formats are proprietary. The code for HyperDA was
all hacked by their programmers. Apple doesn't like this, but they
say "It's OK as long as it runs on OUR CPU's." The routines that
compress the graphics are proprietary, I don't think it uses a simple
packbits. Beware of the file formats, though. They may change without
notice.

See Ya!
+-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-+
Bryan Menell, Stackhead              UUCP: hodge.cts.com!pnet06!bmenell
Pisces Publishing/HyperMedia Group   ARPA: hodge!pnet06!bmenell@crash nosc.mil
17155 Newhope, Suite B               INET: bmenell@pnet06.cts.com
Fountain Valley, CA 92708            CI$ <72307,2100>         GEnie [B.MENELL]
(714) 540-6744  Fax: (714) 540-6936              AppleLink: D1319

"We just can't spend the money fast enough." -Gassee at Spring Developers Conf
+-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-+

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (08/07/88)

In article <1270@hodge.UUCP> bmenell@pnet06.cts.com (Bryan Menell) writes:
>>I am looking for a xfnc or xcmd for hypercard which will allow me to
>>filter a Word file as I read it into a card field.
>
>   You might try Port Authority, written by Steve Michel and distributed
>by Heizer software (415) 943-7667, orders (800) 888-7667. The cost
>is $25.

Port Authority only imports text files.  It does not do any stripping of
formats found in Word files.  The solution is to save Word documents as
Text Only, and then there are many scripts that use the built-in
HyperTalk primitives to import text.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer