[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] File error Could not read background ID 7457

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (08/10/88)

I've recently developed a problem (twice in one week).
Aafter carelessly deleteing names in rolodex, I developed:

Error reading from file (some #)
				(OK)
Then the next time I tried to Open my Rolodex I Got

File Error:; Could not read background ID 7654 (<- or something)

how do I fix this??
Can this be fixed... I'm well versed in file/resource editors and
given some info could makethe neccessary changes in order to save some
of my hard work...

Help
Ben Herman
New at Hypercard.
--
Internet: her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   her3@sphinx.uchicago.bitnet

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (08/15/88)

In article <4515@sphinx.uchicago.edu> her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu.UUCP (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) writes:
>I've recently developed a problem (twice in one week).
>Aafter carelessly deleteing names in rolodex, I developed:
>
>Error reading from file (some #)
>				(OK)
>Then the next time I tried to Open my Rolodex I Got
>
>File Error:; Could not read background ID 7654 (<- or something)
>
>how do I fix this??

A file error (some #) usually means bad media, depending on the number.
If you have been using the same floppy for a long time, it is probably
time to replace it.

That was the good news.  The bad news is that the stack is trashed as a
result of bad media (it sounds).  Find a backup copy of the stack.  You
do back up frequently, don't you???

I hope for your sake that you do.  If not, start.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

P.S. - I don't mean for this to sound harsh, but that is the cruel
reality of bad media.  You could recover a large portion of your data by
looking through the stack with Fedit.  Most of your text will probably
still be there, except in a sector or two where the media screwed up.