[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] three questions

cml@diplodocus.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Lott) (08/16/88)

Hi,

I have been unable to resolve these questions; can anyone please help?

1.  "Stack Info..." report that I have 2 backgrounds.  typing "go next bkgnd"
    in the message box generates a "No such card." dialog.  How can I see
    and remove the second background?  Is it really there?

2.  How can I tell if the Paste menu item under Edit is "Paste Card" as opposed
    to "Paste Button" or "Paste Text" or whatever?

3.  Why does locking the screen break visual effects, no matter which call is
    made first?  (e.g., "lock screen; visual effect x y" doesn't work, but
    neither does "visual effect x y ; lock screen".)

thanks for any and all hints and suggestions.

chris...
-=-
cml@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu   Computer Science Department, OSU     614-292-6542
 or:  ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!osu-cis!cml		<standard disclaimers>

p.s.  Could someone please mail me the last summary you saw of recommendations
      on HyperCard (esp. HyperTalk) books?  I need some info.
      I'll settle for "I bought this and it's [great|lousy]!"    thanks!

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (08/17/88)

In article <20059@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> cml@diplodocus.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Lott) writes:

>1.  "Stack Info..." report that I have 2 backgrounds.  typing "go next bkgnd"
>    in the message box generates a "No such card." dialog.  How can I see
>    and remove the second background?  Is it really there?

I'm not sure about this, but try "go background 2".  I believe backgrounds
must belong to a card (not just be free-floating), so you should be able to
scan thru "Card Info" for the cards in your stack and see which background
they claim to have.

>2.  How can I tell if the Paste menu item under Edit is "Paste Card" as opposed
>    to "Paste Button" or "Paste Text" or whatever?

The last item you copied or cut determines what HyperCard displays in the menu.
I don't know the answer to question 3.

Good luck.

Marc Johnson
(marc%rna@rockefeller.edu   OR rna!marc@rockvax.edu)

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (08/17/88)

In article <20059@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> cml@diplodocus.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Lott) writes:
>I have been unable to resolve these questions; can anyone please help?
>
>1.  "Stack Info..." report that I have 2 backgrounds.  typing "go next bkgnd"
>    in the message box generates a "No such card." dialog.  How can I see
>    and remove the second background?  Is it really there?

It seems you have a corrupt stack.  The 2nd background exists (in some
wierd sense of the word) but without a card!  This is not good,
obviously, but I do not know of a good fix.  Bad media?  We need a
better solution to such problems, and actually someone is working on a
stack recovery tool.  In the meantime, get a copy of the Stack Detective
to look at what's going on, or you can also use Fedit to at least see
your info.  If the stack is reasonably small, BinHex it and send it to
me; perhaps we can figure out what went wrong.

>2.  How can I tell if the Paste menu item under Edit is "Paste Card" as opposed
>    to "Paste Button" or "Paste Text" or whatever?

	Usually you can figure this out from context.  If you just
copied a button, then you can count on it saying Paste Button rather
than Paste Text.

>3.  Why does locking the screen break visual effects, no matter which call is
>    made first?  (e.g., "lock screen; visual effect x y" doesn't work, but
>    neither does "visual effect x y ; lock screen".)

When you lock the screen you are freezing it, so any visual effects done
are NOT shown.  If you want to see the visual effect, you must do an
unlock screen or equivalent, such as:

lock screen
... stuff ...
unlock screen with dissolve

or in the old world of pre HC 1.2,

set lockScreen to true
... stuff ...
visual effect dissolve
set lockScreen to false

More into on this is found in the 1.2 Release Notes stack, which is full
of great ways of using the unlock screen stuff.

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer