[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Help with fields and scripts in Hypercard

edc@aeras.UUCP (news guest account) (08/14/88)

I've been trying to simulate a cash register using Hypercard.  Some
of that I'm doing is similar to the hypercalc demo that comes
with hypercard...

Anyway, what I want is to have a field that acts like a LCD or LED display
on a calculator or cash register.  The user would type in something, and when
he hits a carriage return, the something would be copied into a scrolling
field. The display field would be cleared and the scrolling field would act
like a a paper tape, holding a list of what has been typed.

PROBLEM:  I understand that the returnKey and enterKey interrups don't work
	  in fields.  How do I get around this?

Am I making sense?

-edc-

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (08/15/88)

#
#PROBLEM:  I understand that the returnKey and enterKey interrups don't work
#	  in fields.  How do I get around this?
#
I'm interested in this problem as well.  Please e-mail workarounds to me
at:  marc%rna@rockefeller.edu  OR rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet.  Thanks!

Marc Johnson

warner@scubed.UUCP (Ken Warner) (08/16/88)

I want to draw a rectangle around some painted text.  Using the paint tools
I can paint the text and draw a rectangle.  I would like to be able to
code the message handler in such a way as to be able to change the textFont and
still know how big the extent rectangle is.  What I mean by extent rectangle is
the rectangle that will just enclose the painted text.

How do I find the extent rectangle of some painted text?  For example:

on mouseUp
	choose text tool
	click at 50,50
	type "1234567890"
	doMenu select
	? How do I get the rectangle of the selection
	? so I can draw a rectangle around the painted text?
	?
end mouseUp

Is such an incantation possible?

Ken Warner

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (08/17/88)

In article <214@rna.UUCP> marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) writes:
>#PROBLEM:  I understand that the returnKey and enterKey interrups don't work
>#	  in fields.  How do I get around this?

In HyperCard 1.2 and later there are two new messages sent by HyperCard
called returnInField and enterInField.  They are very useful for
handling either of these two keys when editing text.  They are also
related to the tab and auto-tab functions.

More info and lots of great examples of how all this stuff works may be
found in the HyperCard 1.2 Release Notes stack that ships with the
HyperCard 1.2 product.

I can understand people not reading the manuals, but come on folks, you
can at least CLICK on a few buttons to puruse the help stacks, can't
you?  I know, I know, you probably don't have 1.2 yet and the Apple
dealers aren't any help...

Happy scripting.

Dan Allen
Software Explorer working on HyperCard
Late at night at Apple Computer (well, okay, late at night at home)