[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Limiting Sorts & Finds

SEB@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Scott E Barron) (08/29/88)

Is there a way to limit a sort or find so that is will executed only within
a specified background.  I have a stack with 7 backgrounds, and need to
sort the cards within one background.  Help!?!

If there isn't a way to do this in the current version of HC, then I hope
that the powers that be (Dan Allen & Co.) will incorporate this into the
later versions.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (08/30/88)

In article <5992@pucc.Princeton.EDU> SEB@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>Is there a way to limit a sort or find so that is will executed only within
>a specified background.  I have a stack with 7 backgrounds, and need to
>sort the cards within one background.  Help!?!
>
>If there isn't a way to do this in the current version of HC, then I hope
>that the powers that be (Dan Allen & Co.) will incorporate this into the
>later versions.

You cannot sort just by one background in a real easy way, however, you
CAN sort by an arbitary expression which can call your own HyperTalk
script.  It is slower... but you could maybe get the effect you are
looking for.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer