[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] HyperCard 1.0 fields vs Zapf Chancery

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (09/01/88)

I've recently noticed some minor bugs when I have a HyperCard 1.0
field using a largish (18 pt?) size of Zapf Chancery (my favorite
non-roman font).  Specifically:

(1) If a lower case 'j' is the first character on a line, most of the
    descender doesn't show on the screen.  It appears to be getting
    clipped to some inner bounding rectangle of the field.

(2) If you're typing into a field, and you type a 'j' and then backspace
    to delete it, sometimes (depends on preceding text, i.e. probably
    varies depending on exactly where the 'j' falls) a piece of the
    descender is left there.  This is purely a display bug; if you
    go to another card and then back it's not there.

HYPOTHESES:

	There is a bug in the description of 'j' in that size of
	Zapf Chancery, -or-

	HyperCard is taking some shortcuts that don't quite work,
	perhaps in the backspace code, -or-

	There's an underlying bug in the toolbox that this exposes.

To reproduce, make an appropriate field and type in:

j<RETURN>
Sj<BACKSPACE><RETURN>
Saj<BACKSPACE><RETURN>
Sanj<BACKSPACE><RETURN>

and then hit arrow keys to go to the next card and back to this card.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (09/06/88)

In article <66420@sun.uucp> landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:
>I've recently noticed some minor bugs when I have a HyperCard 1.0
>field using a largish (18 pt?) size of Zapf Chancery (my favorite
>non-roman font).  Specifically:
>
>(1) If a lower case 'j' is the first character on a line, most of the
>    descender doesn't show on the screen.  It appears to be getting
>    clipped to some inner bounding rectangle of the field.
>
>(2) If you're typing into a field, and you type a 'j' and then backspace
>    to delete it, sometimes (depends on preceding text, i.e. probably
>    varies depending on exactly where the 'j' falls) a piece of the
>    descender is left there.  This is purely a display bug; if you
>    go to another card and then back it's not there.
>
>HYPOTHESES:
>
>	There is a bug in the description of 'j' in that size of
>	Zapf Chancery, -or-
>
>	HyperCard is taking some shortcuts that don't quite work,
>	perhaps in the backspace code, -or-
>
>	There's an underlying bug in the toolbox that this exposes.
>
>To reproduce, make an appropriate field and type in:
>
>j<RETURN>
>Sj<BACKSPACE><RETURN>
>Saj<BACKSPACE><RETURN>
>Sanj<BACKSPACE><RETURN>

Well, as luck would have it I cannot reproduce your bug.  I am using a
Mac SE with a Radius Accelerator board, HC 1.2, and System 6.0.1.  Old
versions of the LW+ fonts had screwed up FOND resources, which have
important font width information.  I would get a recent version of
Font/DA Mover, like 3.8, and get some recent fonts and try reinstalling
the fonts.  No problems here!

Dan Allen
Apple Computer