[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Munged Stack, HELP!!

nevius@amc.UUCP (John Nevius) (09/01/88)

I've come to rely upon an address stack that helps me keep
appointments, names, contact dates, etc, etc, etc.  Somehow the other
day one of the cards in the stack became munged.  Specifically I get a
message that I have a bad card or backround ID.  I can scroll through the
stack and get to where the bad card is, so I believe the problem is a bad
backround ID, but that is the limit of the troubleshooting I've been able
to come up with.

Hypercard itself will not let me get to the card (obviously bringing up the cardgenerates the message, which then drops me out of hypercard).  Resedit, FEdit,
and REdit seem to be of no use in trying to look into where backround
information is held in the stack.  I have about 150 or so cards that would be
a royal pain to re-enter, how do I get this one card fixed up????

Help!

Thanks in advance,

John Nevius
Applied Microsystems Corp
....tikal!amc!nevius

Since hypercard itself
will not let me fix the card (bringing the card up generates the message
of course), and Resedit, FEedit, and REdit seem to be of no use in
trying to look at the stack, how do I fix the stack and retreive all the
150 or so address cards I've built up??

Help!!!!

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (09/06/88)

In article <748@amc.UUCP> nevius@amc.UUCP (John Nevius) writes:
>I've come to rely upon an address stack that helps me keep
>appointments, names, contact dates, etc, etc, etc.  Somehow the other
>day one of the cards in the stack became munged.  Specifically I get a
>message that I have a bad card or backround ID.  I can scroll through the
>stack and get to where the bad card is, so I believe the problem is a bad
>backround ID, but that is the limit of the troubleshooting I've been able
>to come up with.
>
>Hypercard itself will not let me get to the card (obviously bringing up the cardgenerates the message, which then drops me out of hypercard).  Resedit, FEdit,
>and REdit seem to be of no use in trying to look into where backround
>information is held in the stack.  I have about 150 or so cards that would be
>a royal pain to re-enter, how do I get this one card fixed up????

Try doing a Compact Stack.  This operation rebuilds the stack if
possible.  If this does not work, you can look at the information with
Fedit.  It is all stored in the data fork of a stack.  You can read the
text without any problem, so if you need a phone number or something you
can find it.  Fedit's find is not quite as fast as HyperCard's
though...-)

What were you doing when this happened?  I hear every so often about
such things occurring but I have never had it happen to me, and I use
HyperCard many hours a day.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer