[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] ArrowKeys vs The Scroll

koster@let.vu.nl (C. Koster) (09/09/88)

I found something strange: When I do:

> on idle
>  put the scroll of MyField into msg
>  put " - " & the selectedchunk after msg
> end idle

and use the up/down arrowkeys to move around in the field
and the field scrolls to keep the blinking cursor in view
the messagebox doesn't show the new "the scroll". I know
"idle" is being called as selectedchunk keeps changing. As
soon as I click where the blinking cursor is the messagebox
displays the right values.
If I use "automatic scrolling" then the value of "the scroll"
adjusts as you'd expect it to do.

Why doesn't HC do the job when the arrowkey's are being used?

I'm using HC 1.2.1 under System 6.0 on a MacPlus.

Oh, and while I'm at it, what's wrong with:

> repeat with i = 1 to 3
>   do "put" && quote & "ShakeYourThing" & quote && "into a" & i
> end repeat

Martijn Koster

 koster @ let.vu.nl
 koster @ sara.nl
v43ucor @ hasara11.bitnet

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (09/14/88)

In article <553@vulet.let.vu.nl.UUCP> koster@let.vu.nl (C. Koster) writes:

>I found something strange: When I do:
>
>> on idle
>>  put the scroll of MyField into msg
>>  put " - " & the selectedchunk after msg
>> end idle
>
>and use the up/down arrowkeys to move around in the field
>and the field scrolls to keep the blinking cursor in view
>the messagebox doesn't show the new "the scroll". I know
>"idle" is being called as selectedchunk keeps changing. As
>soon as I click where the blinking cursor is the messagebox
>displays the right values.
>If I use "automatic scrolling" then the value of "the scroll"
>adjusts as you'd expect it to do.
>
>Why doesn't HC do the job when the arrowkey's are being used?
>
>I'm using HC 1.2.1 under System 6.0 on a MacPlus.

This is commonly known as a BUG.  It has been fixed since 1.2.1 was
released and will be in the next version of HyperCard released.  (The
fix will be in the next version, the bug will NOT be.-))

>Oh, and while I'm at it, what's wrong with:
>
>> repeat with i = 1 to 3
>>   do "put" && quote & "ShakeYourThing" & quote && "into a" & i
>> end repeat

I am not quite sure what you are doing here, but it seems like you are
putting "ShakeYourThing" into three variables, a1, a2, and a3.