[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] "select" anomaly

BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (09/15/88)

The new "select" command in HC 1.2.1 places the insertion bar into a
field and hence opens the field, but it does not send an "openField"
message.  This seems to me to be anomalous is not simply wrong.  Since
it opens the field, it should send the message.

I have little hope this comment will produce any results, because these
types of anomalous message behaviors have never been corrected in the
various incarnations of HC.  For example:

HC still sends an openCard message before a newCard message.  This makes
no logical sense at all.

And HC still does not send a closeField message every time a field closes,
only if its contents have been changed.  This also is without sense.

Each of these sillinesses causes problems and reduces programmer control
and flexibility.  Very reasonable solutions have been proposed, but do
not seem to be adopted.  It has been suggested, for example, that
closeField should be sent whenever a field is closed and return a TRUE or
FALSE depending upon whether the field contents have been changed.  Then
everyone would be happy.  In any event, "select's" not giving an openField
has reduced its value in several of my applications.

david a. belsley
boston college

From hyper-hackers-request Wed Sep 14 10:45:18 1988