[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Message orders

gjditchfield@violet.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (09/15/88)

In article <68272@sun.uucp> BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU writes:
>I have little hope this comment will produce any results, because these
>types of anomalous message behaviors have never been corrected in the
>various incarnations of HC.  For example:
>
>... HC still does not send a closeField message every time a field closes,
>only if its contents have been changed.

And here's a problem with openField/closeField interaction:  if you click
on the same field several times in a row, an openField message is sent for
every click, but no closeFields are sent, _even if typing occurs between
the clicks_.  This messed my scripts up when I needed to process the
initial and final values of a field.  Do these extra openFields have any
usefulness other than as substitute mouseUps?

Now, if we can get a third person to complain ... maybe Dan Allen will
think its a movement!

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (09/17/88)

In article <8490@watdragon.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@violet.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) writes:
>Now, if we can get a third person to complain ... maybe Dan Allen will
>think its a movement!

Dan Allen hears the complaints, agrees with what is said, and is
sympathetic to the cause.  However, Dan Allen does not have the say as
to changing the order of messages at this moment in time.  Bill Atkinson
does, and he needs to be convinced that such changes are appropriate and
will not unduly break existing stacks.  I hope that for the next major
release of HyperCard we can have a lot of messages straightened out,
such as:

	NewCard should come before OpenCard
	TabKey should come before CloseField
	CloseField should always be called on exit from a field
	etc.  (Add your favorites here -) )

In the meantime, know and understand the quirks and hope that we can get
them fixed for 2.0.

Dan Allen
Apple

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (09/21/88)

In article <8490@watdragon.waterloo.edu> gjditchfield@violet.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) writes:
>In article <68272@sun.uucp> BELSLEY%BCVMS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU writes:
>>I have little hope this comment will produce any results, because these
>>types of anomalous message behaviors have never been corrected in the
>>various incarnations of HC.  For example:

[ various complaints about bizarre HyperCard behavior deleted...]

>Now, if we can get a third person to complain ... maybe Dan Allen will
>think its a movement!

Count me as number 3!!!

I have complained directly to Apple (through Outside Bug Reporter) about
the openCard message before newCard message. These can't be impossible bugs
to fix, and they've been around since version 1.0.  I don't know why somebody
doesn't just sit down and fix them.  I guess they just effect us "stack-heads"
and aren't a top priority.

sigh..

-----
L. Greg DeMichillie