[net.micro] IOMEGA information request

boechat@mcnc.UUCP (Marc Boechat) (04/11/85)

Subject: IOMEGA information request
Newsgroups: net.micro

As promised, here is the summary of the answers I have got to my search for
information on IOMEGA hard removable disk system ( net.micro # 5006):

	- It appears to be a fairly good alternative to other mass storage
	  systems

	- Its speed is somewhere in between the hard disk of the IBM XT and
	  a winchester

	- It is almost foolproof and fairly reliable but some problems
	  regarding the noise associated with dirty heads have been
	  mentioned.  The heads seem to need to be cleaned rather often
	  (~ every 2-3 months).

	- It has a pretty good price/performance ratio. Discount places
	  sale the Bernouilli box for about $2650 and the cartridges price
	  rank from $50 to $150 ( these are the prices I've got so far).
	  So I think it's worth shopping around for them.

	- It went through a number of major hardware revisions so beware of
	  the compatibility between different models.

	- It can be very difficult to write a good driver for these devices
	  if you have to.

If there is any comment or remarque on this summary, please send me mail
and I will provide you with the complete set of answers I've got.

Thank you.

If it is needed I don't have any relationship whatsoever with IOMEGA  of
course!!!!!!!!!!

Boechat: mcnc!boechat@decvax