[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Hypercard-type software for IBM-PC?

woodl@byuvax.bitnet (09/21/88)

     Several months ago I read something about HyperCard-type software
in the works for the PC, but I've never seen nor heard anything since.
I've asked several others, and have come up empty.  If anyone knows more,
I'd also be very interested

  Larry Wood, WoodL@BYUVAX.bitnet

simrin@mis.ucsf.edu (Steve Simrin) (09/22/88)

In article <250woodl@byuvax.bitnet> woodl@byuvax.bitnet writes:

>     Several months ago I read something about HyperCard-type software
>in the works for the PC, but I've never seen nor heard anything since.
>I've asked several others, and have come up empty.  If anyone knows more,
>I'd also be very interested
>
>  Larry Wood, WoodL@BYUVAX.bitnet

I have a program called Hyperties. It is described as "a powerful, yet
simple, new software tool for organizing and presenting information...
you will be able to link articles and illustrations together [in order
to] browse through them".

The program appears to be a hypertext implementation for the PC. I haven't
used it but I did see a demo. My impression ...it doesn't compare with
Hypercard; stick with HC until something better comes along. It's marketed by
Cognetics Corporation of Princeton Junction, N.J.

Steve Simrin

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (09/22/88)

In article <250woodl@byuvax.bitnet> woodl@byuvax.bitnet writes:

>     Several months ago I read something about HyperCard-type software
>in the works for the PC, but I've never seen nor heard anything since.
>I've asked several others, and have come up empty.  If anyone knows more,
>I'd also be very interested

Owl Software (or something like that), makers of "Guide" for the Mac,
announced that they would do a PC HyperCard using the HyperText technology
already built into their Mac product.  I believe this came soon after the
original announcement of HyperCard.  However, I haven't heard anything more
since then...

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS

jgolton@s.cs.uiuc.edu (09/23/88)

In Computer Shopper, October 1988, there was a review of several such
programs.  If the description of "Knowledge Pro" is accurate, it is in
the same league as HyperCard, with some advantages, such as tools for
building Expert systems, and some disadvantages, such as the $495
price.

hin@tnoibbc.UUCP (Hin Oey) (09/23/88)

In article <250woodl@byuvax.bitnet> woodl@byuvax.bitnet writes:

>     Several months ago I read something about HyperCard-type software
>in the works for the PC, but I've never seen nor heard anything since.
>I've asked several others, and have come up empty.  If anyone knows more,
>I'd also be very interested
>
>  Larry Wood, WoodL@BYUVAX.bitnet

L.S.

Allthough I had it ordered nearly 6 months ago I only
recently received my copy of LAYOUT. This American product
is advertised, I am now reviewing it, as the DOS equivalent
of HyperCard. You should contact:
	Matrix Software
	One Mass. Tech. Center
	Harborside Drive
	Boston, MA 02128
	(617) 567-0037

If there are other experiences with LAYOUT or other
hypertext programs for DOS, I am very interested.

Regards,
Hin Oey (hin@tnoibbc) Netherlands

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (09/26/88)

In article <539@uva.UUCP>, borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) writes:
> In article <250woodl@byuvax.bitnet> woodl@byuvax.bitnet writes:
>>
>>    Several months ago I read something about HyperCard-type software
>>in the works for the PC, but I've never seen nor heard anything since.
>>I've asked several others, and have come up empty.  If anyone knows more,
> >I'd also be very interested
>
> Owl Software (or something like that), makers of "Guide" for the Mac,
>Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
> Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS

OWL International does indeed have ahypertext implementation on the
market.  It is now at version 2.0.  Mine's in the mail.  They are also
, as bad as my memory is, I believe, making a UNIX version.

I'm going to an OS/2 media showcase in Edmonton on Tuesday the 27th and
they are going to be there so I should get some up to date info.  I
have not had the fortune to use hypercard, just saw a few demos by
salespeople and collegues, and I am interested in finding out what the
differences are as I am putting the final touches on an application for
funding for an educational development project and I think that this
could help clarify some sections of the application.

BTW, I have played with GUIDE a little and have been very pleased
except that I personally do not like Windows all that much and although
I use a mouse quite a bit in situations where a mouse is useful I am
also not a big fan of having to use the mouse all the time.
In other words, I am not totally pleased with either the current DOS
environment that I use nor that offered by either the MAC or the PC
with Windows.

OF, course all those names above have little (c) or (tm) or (r) behind
them when I am referring to companies or particular software.

Kevin

hin@tnoibbc.UUCP (Hin Oey) (10/10/88)

L.S.

There was some discussion going on about hypertext for dos.
At present I am reviewing 3 packages and I will get 2 more.
I would like it very much if we could set up some
discussion, but is there no better group to do this