[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Simon cdev

langford@reed.UUCP (Chris Langford) (10/18/88)

	I put Simon in my system folder, and changed the way the dates
were presented (e.g., from Tuesday, October 18, 1988 to 18 October 1988).
Then I opened HyperCard and went to my Datebook stack.  I have a script
that goes to the particular card for that day by finding word 2 of item 2
of the long date.  Well, suddenly there's no item 2, and the script doesn't
work.  Rather than go back and find all the scripts that do searches based on
the long date and change them, I dumped Simon.  It's a useful thing if you
like European calendars, but it's not worth the effort of digging through
that much HyperTalk.  Thanks anyway.

--
Chris Langford                 |
tektronix!reed!langford        |         "And to everyone else out there,

frankng@basser.oz (Frank Ng) (10/22/88)

> From: langford@reed.UUCP (Chris Langford)

Simon does not do anything with HyperCard!  It edits the system INTL
and itl resources which all properly written programs (including
Hypercard, bless its little heart) access when it wants date/time
formatting information.

It will "mess" up YOUR hypertalk scripts if you write them in such a
way as to assume an unchanging format of date/time returned by
HyperCard functions, then go and changed this format with Simon. What
else would you expect?

>         I put Simon in my system folder, and changed the way the dates
> were presented (e.g., from Tuesday, October 18, 1988 to 18 October 1988).
> Then I opened HyperCard and went to my Datebook stack.  I have a script
> that goes to the particular card for that day by finding word 2 of item 2
> of the long date.  Well, suddenly there's no item 2, and the script doesn't
Did you REALLY expect there to be an item 2 in "18 October 1988"?

Frank Ng
--
Frank Ng			ACSnet:	frankng@basser.oz
Department of Computer Science	ARPA:	frankng%basser.oz@uunet.uu.net