[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] event times

marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) (10/25/88)

Is there a way in Hypercard to get the actual time that an event
was placed in the event queue? I am specifically interested in mouse clicks.
Hypertalk appears to only provide a reading of the present
time (i.e. the ticks), not the time at which an event occurred.
Given the speed of hypertalk, the present time is not good enough.

Off hand, the only way I can think of doing it is to write an XCMD that
polls (horrors!) the event queue, checking for a mouse up/down using
EventAvail. Upon finding such an event, it would pass it on to
hypercard.

However, such an approach seems somewhat arcane. The event time is in
the queue when hypercard reads it, surely it just doesnt throw it
away.

I am a neophyte at this hypercard game, so if anyone can
help I would appreciate it.

stacy marsella

marsella@aramis.rutgers.edu

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (11/01/88)

In article <Oct.24.21.36.58.1988.19507@athos.rutgers.edu> marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) writes:

>Is there a way in Hypercard to get the actual time that an event
>was placed in the event queue? I am specifically interested in mouse clicks.
>Hypertalk appears to only provide a reading of the present
>time (i.e. the ticks), not the time at which an event occurred.
>Given the speed of hypertalk, the present time is not good enough.

HyperCard does not present such low-level information.  I admit that
there is sometimes a considerable delay between the posting of an event
and its processing, something which we are trying to improve.

In the meantime you probably will need to write an XCMD to snif the
event queue.  Calling EventAvail would probably be a good bet...

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer