[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] temperamental XCMD

V050FN5R%UBVMS.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu (11/01/88)

I am working on a XCMD for a hypercard that will catalog a hard disk. I managed
to write the routines to catalog a hard disk and am trying to port it over to
HC. There seems to be a problem, though. My XCMD works occasionally. Sometimes,
I click on the button (which contains the command), and it sometimes works;it
sometimes does nothing. Often, I have engage the paint tools; go back to the
browse tool, and then my XCMD works.
There might be something wrong with the way I declared my HParamBlock pointers,
or there may be a problem with way I am accessed the the hard disk, or it may
be something else. I will appreciate any mail or note on the net about this.

Also, when I used the old Hypercard, I managed a few times to comes across a
message that said HC could not read background id #### at ####. I thought this
problem was fixed, but my XCMD seems to have brought it back. I lost two stacks
so far. I remember a few people posted about this problem before, but I did not
see an answer. Anyone have any ideas? Dan Allen are listening?

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (11/01/88)

In article <75438@sun.uucp> V050FN5R%UBVMS.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu writes:
>I am working on a XCMD for a hypercard that will catalog a hard disk. I managed
>to write the routines to catalog a hard disk and am trying to port it over to
>HC. There seems to be a problem, though. My XCMD works occasionally. Sometimes,
>I click on the button (which contains the command), and it sometimes works;it
>sometimes does nothing. Often, I have engage the paint tools; go back to the
>browse tool, and then my XCMD works.
>There might be something wrong with the way I declared my HParamBlock pointers,
>or there may be a problem with way I am accessed the the hard disk, or it may
>be something else. I will appreciate any mail or note on the net about this.
>
>Also, when I used the old Hypercard, I managed a few times to comes across a
>message that said HC could not read background id #### at ####. I thought this
>problem was fixed, but my XCMD seems to have brought it back. I lost two stacks
>so far. I remember a few people posted about this problem before, but I did not
>see an answer. Anyone have any ideas? Dan Allen are listening?

Without the sources in front of me I am hard pressed to say what your
problem is, but I would guess that something in memory is getting
stompt on.  The Background ID problem could occur whenever memory got
hosed.  Need more info or sample sources.

Dan Allen
Software Exploer
Apple Computer
P.S. - My XCMDs work fine.  I think there is a bug in your code...