[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Vis. Effects on II seem broken

wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) (11/12/88)

It appears that visual effects (regardless of the speed at which
they are 'played') don't work on our MacII machines (both 256 color,
5 MB, running system software 6.02, HyperCard 1.2).  Examples which
most definitely work on, say, a Mac+ fail to show any effects when
run on one of these machines.

What am I missing, or what didn't I read somewhere?

Wade Blomgren
wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu

pa1505@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (11/12/88)

In article <54@sdacs.ucsd.EDU> wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) writes:
>It appears that visual effects (regardless of the speed at which
>they are 'played') don't work on our MacII machines (both 256 color,
>5 MB, running system software 6.02, HyperCard 1.2).  Examples which
>most definitely work on, say, a Mac+ fail to show any effects when
>run on one of these machines.

  Hypercard is largely a black and white application.  Consequently,
  it doesn't know how to handle the color on the Mac II.  In order
  to use the visual effects in HyperCard, you should switch the Mac
  II to monochrome mode.  HyperCard should work as expect then.

  Barry Brown
  pa1505@sdcc15.ucsd.edu

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (11/16/88)

In article <54@sdacs.ucsd.EDU> wade@sdacs.ucsd.EDU (Wade Blomgren) writes:
>It appears that visual effects (regardless of the speed at which
>they are 'played') don't work on our MacII machines (both 256 color,
>5 MB, running system software 6.02, HyperCard 1.2).  Examples which
>most definitely work on, say, a Mac+ fail to show any effects when
>run on one of these machines.

Visual effects do not work with color or other types of multi-bit
monitors when they are in multi-bit mode.  If you select b/w 1 bit mode,
then visual effects work fine (as long as hypercard is running on the
main screen (screen with the menubar) on a multiple-screen Mac II
setup).

Why?  Well, to do neat visual effects requires directly writing to the
screen, which gets more complicated with 8 bits per pixel.  We want to
support this sometime (its doable) but we just haven't got around to
implementing it yet.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer