[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] freeSize of stacks

fxa@berlin.acss.umn.edu (Farhad Anklesaria) (11/16/88)

I have a stack that I'm using to accumulate text clippings from news
and mail.  It's indexed in an ad-hoc way, so I can find what I want; it
has grown to about 200K in size.  It has no fancy pictures, just text.
Periodically, I paste from 5 to 20K worth of text into this stack.
After the paste, I note that the free-space (from the stack info dialog
or "the freeSize of this stack") in the stack jumps up.  For a while it
would be 8-10K free space.  Now its getting to be 30-40K free-space
after any paste.

Annoying.  Bug or feature?

Farhad Anklesaria                                 fxa@berlin.acss.umn.edu
Microcomputer and Workstation Systems Group       farhad@ux.acss.umn.edu
132 Shepherd Labs                                 farhad@vx.acss.umn.edu
University of Minnesota                           farhad@UMNACVX.BITNET
Minneapolis, MN 55455

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (11/16/88)

In article <255@berlin.acss.umn.edu> fxa@berlin.acss.umn.edu (Farhad Anklesaria) writes:

>I have a stack that I'm using to accumulate text clippings from news
>and mail.  It's indexed in an ad-hoc way, so I can find what I want; it
>has grown to about 200K in size.  It has no fancy pictures, just text.
>Periodically, I paste from 5 to 20K worth of text into this stack.
>After the paste, I note that the free-space (from the stack info dialog
>or "the freeSize of this stack") in the stack jumps up.  For a while it
>would be 8-10K free space.  Now its getting to be 30-40K free-space
>after any paste.
>
>Annoying.  Bug or feature?

Neither.  This behavior is simply a by-product of how HyperCard manages
space on the disk.  As holes are created, HyperCard fills them up when
possible, but if you paste an object that won't fit in any
hole HyperCard makes more space at the end of the file. A stack is
actually treated somewhat like the Macintosh Memory Manager treats a
heap in an application zone, if you want a technical analogy.

Dan Allen
HyperCard Team
Software Explorer
Apple Computer