[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Bad interaction of Suitcase 1.3, System 6.0.2, and F/DA Mover 3.8

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/30/88)

I discovered the following problem on a Mac II with 4MB RAM, 80 MB disk,
running MultiFinder/System 6.0.2 with lots of inits.

With Suitcase 1.3 active, F/DA Mover fails to renumber the owned resources of
desk accessories when moving them around. This can cause a large variety of
fatal error messages (or worse yet, if there are no conflicting resources,
a DA file that seems to be fine but will cause crashes). Note that this
happens when building a new suitcase. I suspect that the same thing would
happen if you tried to add DAs to your system file, but I was less than
anxious to experiment...

Whose fault is this? Can anybody else reproduce this? I am guessing that
Suitcase is the culprit, but I'm far from certain.

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (11/30/88)

In article <1022@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>Whose fault is this? Can anybody else reproduce this? I am guessing that
>Suitcase is the culprit, but I'm far from certain.

Font DA/Mover always renumbers owned resources.  It shouldn't be used
under MultiFinder.  It works fine without suitcase with 6.0.2, so I
would consider SuitCase to be at fault, as you suggested.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer