[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Question about Text fields

HKR@PSUVM.BITNET (Ken Rosenberry) (12/02/88)

I'm having trouble with HyperCard text fields.  Are there features of
the current release of HyperCard that I don't know about that would
solve my problems?  If not, will these issues be addressed in future
releases of HyperCard?  Here are the current limitations I have:

   1.  I am forced to use non-proportional fonts for tables since HC does
       not appear to support tabs in text fileds.  If I don't use a non-
       LaserWriter.

   2.  Special characters (quotation marks, etc) at the beginning of a
       word do not wrap correctly.  My solution is to add a 'return'
       character before the word that begins with the special character.
       That's not only a real pain, but it makes for difficult editing.

   3.  Is there a built-in function that will count the number of LINES
       OF TEXT in a field rather than the number of RETURN characters?

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (12/03/88)

More answers...

Fields cannot have tabs in them.  In order to do tables in a field you
need to use a non-proportional font, such as Monaco or Courier.  This
may not be fixed for a while.

Special characters such as quotes DO mess up word wrap.  This problem
WILL be fixed in the next major release of HyperCard (post 1.2.2).

There is currently no built-in function that counts lines in a text
field according to how they are displayed.  Rather, lines are counted by
the number of return characters in the field.  However, you can
calculate the effective number of lines in a field by looking at the
coordinates of the field and dividing the height by the textHeight of
each line of the field.  We hope to improve this in future versions.

Many other improvements are also being worked on for fields.

Dan Allen
Apple

stone@hydra.unm.edu.unm.edu (Andrew Stone CS.DEPT) (12/03/88)

In article <21550@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>Fields cannot have tabs in them.  In order to do tables in a field you
>need to use a non-proportional font, such as Monaco or Courier.  This
>may not be fixed for a while.

But in order to avoid typing 8 spaces to effectuate a tab you can add this
to your functionkey script [if you have functionkeys...]

on functionkey which
  if which is 12
    then type "        "    -- or how many you prefer
  else
    pass functionkey
  end if
end functionkey